One Direction released their album, Four, on November 17, 2014, a few months before Zayn Malik left the group. The number “4” symbolizes their fourth album and 4 years since forming the band on The X Factor. I really cherish this album, as it is the last written and recorded album with all 5 members in the group. Here are my thoughts on the 16 track album:
- “Steal My Girl”- As this album’s lead single, I think “Steal My Girl” has become one of One Direction’s most well known songs. The song hypes up their female love interests and says that no one will ever be able to take them away. It’s extremely catchy and comes with a very fun music video.
“I don’t exist if I don’t have her,
The sun doesn’t shine, the world doesn’t turn”
- “Ready to Run”- I absolutely love “Ready to Run”. It focuses on escaping and being whoever you want to be with whoever you want to be with. It’s a very underrated and lowkey song on this album, but very motivational and powerful.
Favorite Lyrics: “Wherever you are is the place I belong”
- “Where Do Broken Hearts Go”- WDBHG is another highly underrated song on this album. In my opinion, this could have been one of their lead singles because it is such a well written song. This song describes trying to fix a relationship you ended, and trying to find the person you broke.
Favorite Lyrics: “All the rest of my crimes don’t come close to the look on your face when I let you go”
- “18”- “18” is a classic and cute love song. This song focuses on the love that was formed between two people when they were just 18 years old, and how they continue to love one another now. I’ve seen many directioners incorporate this song into their wedding since loving someone since 18 can apply to many relationships.
Favorite Lyrics: “All I can do is say that these arms are made for holding you”
- “Girl Almighty”- I do like “Girl Almighty”, but it isn’t one of my personal favorites on the album. It is very catchy and repeats a lot of the same lyrics. The lyrics focus on praising a girl for who she is.
“Let’s have another toast to the girl almighty,
Let’s pray we stay young made of lightning”
- “Fool’s Gold”- I love, love, LOVE “Fool’s Gold”. It’s about getting played by someone you thought you could trust and love. However, you don’t regret ever falling for them. I think this is one of the most emotional and relatable songs One Direction has ever released.
“And yeah, I let you use me from the day that we first met
But I’m not done yet
Falling for you, fools gold
And I knew that you turned it on fore everyone you’ve met
But I don’t regret
Falling for you, fools gold”
- “Night Changes”- Words can’t describe the effect this song has. The feelings and emotions that the chorus makes you have are so special and incredible. This was the band’s second single from this album, and it has become one of One Direction’s most popular songs. This song covers how fast time flies, but it will never change the relationship between two people. I’m also obsessed with the music video as it covers going on a date with each member of the band.
“But there’s nothing to be afraid of
Even when the night changes
It will never change me and you”
- “No Control”- This is one of One Direction’s more upbeat and fast songs on the Four album. This song describes the power and effect 2 people have on one another, and how they can’t control themselves when they’re with each other. This song really covers Louis’ vocals, which I love. One Direction also does a funny skit with James Corden to this song in Carpool Karaoke on, The Late Late Show.
And I don’t care, its obvious
I just can’t get enough of you
The pedals down, my eyes are closed
- “Fireproof”- “Fireproof” is easily in my top 5 One Direction songs. From the beat, to the lyrics, this song just makes you feel so good. It describes the strength and power of a couple’s love, and how nothing can break them. This leads to the comparison of the relationship to the term “fireproof”, as it could survive something as strong as fire.
“It’s been so long, it’s been so long, maybe we’re fireproof
Cause nobody saves me, baby, the way you do”
- “Spaces”- I think “Spaces” is slept on by many. Unlike most of the other songs on this album, “Spaces” covers a sadder and more distant relationship between 2 people. It reveals that the bond between the 2 is going to come to an end. I think the bridge covers Zayn’s vocals really well.
“Who’s gonna be the first one to compromise?
Who’s gonna be the first one to set it all on fire?
Who’s gonna be the last one to drive away?
Forgetting every single promise we ever made?”
- “Stockholm Syndrome”- One Direction uses the term, “stockholm syndrome”, to describe strong feelings towards a certain someone and describe the love as a sudden capture. It isn’t one of my favorite songs on the album, but it is still extremely mysterious and catchy.
“Oh, baby, look what you’ve done to me
Oh, baby, you got me tied down
Oh, baby, I’ll never leave if you keep holding me this way”
- “Clouds”- In my opinion, “Clouds” has one of the most powerful choruses of any One Direction song. The song is about a continuous, struggling relationship where the 2 individuals can’t help but find themselves back with one another. Harry’s vocals are highlighted very well in this song.
“Someday you’re gonna see the things that I see
You’re gonna want the air that I breathe
You’re gonna wish you never left me”
- “Change Your Ticket”- This song has such a fun beat and is definitely in my top 5 One Direction songs of all time. It’s about a long distance relationship and how one person wants the other to change their ticket home, so that they don’t leave them. It truly shows how you may never want to leave your special someone, and how you should cherish every second with them. Although I have never experienced a long distance relationship, this song makes it seem like I have.
“Why don’t we take some time?
Why don’t we take just a little more time?
Why don’t we make it right?
Girl, I don’t wanna say goodbye”
- “Illusion”- This song starts off by describing how people may use others and play games. However, the lyrics switch to show that the love in this case is true, meaningful, and real.
“I would never turn your heart into broken parts,
You don’t have to think twice looking into my eyes”
- “Once in a Lifetime”- “Once in a Lifetime” is one of the slower songs on this album. It covers the idea of imagining you are with someone, even if you really aren’t with them. I think this song can resonate with a lot of people who are dealing with loss in any shape or form.
“When I close my eyes
All the stars align
And you are by my side
You are by my side”
- “Act My Age”- “Act My Age” focuses on the idea of getting older, but still staying true to yourself. It emphasizes holding onto your youth as time goes on and not changing the way you act around certain people. This song has a very unique and Irish instrumental sound, which is very sweet as Niall Horan is the only Irish member of the band.
“I won’t act my age, no I won’t act my age
No, I’ll still feel the same around you”