5 Reasons You Should Be (Or Already Are) A Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

1.     You want equality between the sexes.This is literally all feminism is. If you believe this, congratulations! Welcome to the feminist club. Many people believe feminism is hating men or something else ridiculous, which is obviously not true.

2.     Feminism benefits both men and women.What? But the name says it’s for women? It’s called feminism because women are usually the ones who pulled the short straw, but that doesn’t mean its goals wouldn’t benefit men. Feminism seeks to banish the idea that women and feminine traits are inferior. Feminine traits are generally seen as “weak”, and women are generally considered to be the more emotional sex. This makes is difficult for men to express their feelings for fear of being seen as weak too, which is sad because it causes them to bottle up their emotions which in unhealthy. Because of this “women are weaker” idea, women are also more prone to being protected or excused from many circumstances where they should be held accountable. Equality of the sexes would mean that women would begin to be held more responsible for their actions in domestic abuse and rape cases, men would be more likely to receive better custody deals in divorce battles, etc.

3.     Feminism helps to abolish negative stereotypes.

Fortunately, many of these stereotypes are fading on their own, but the more people who believe feminism is a positive idea the faster they will disappear. Are you tired of boys thinking you’re not as good at math or science? Or that your clothes reveal the type of person you are? Or that you’ll cry at the drop of a hat? How about that anytime you’re angry, you’ve just GOT to be on your period? Hearing all of these suck, so the faster they go away the better.

4.     Being a feminist can boost your self esteem.

You’re probably questioning this one. How can being a feminist make me feel better about myself? The thing is, once you do a little research and maybe read a few feminist articles about how our self-image is so ridiculously tied into the media and how men view us, you’ll realize when you’re being affected by society’s expectations, and thus be able to ignore them. You’ll realize that you can be whatever kind of woman you want to be and still have just as much value as anyone else, and this is a HUGE step. As long as you like who you are and what you’re doing, that’s literally all that matters. Period.

5.     You want the best for your generation and the ones to come.

Any rational woman would be absolutely outraged about a whole range of issues like rape, the fact that men are light years ahead of us in the work place, female genital mutilation, human sex trafficking, domestic violence, over-sexualization of both adults and teenagers (even children), and not even having the rights to our own bodies in cases like abortion. Clearly, we want issues like these to change ASAP, so that we can feel safe in the world we live in and free to raise our potential future children in it.

Lindsay Miller is a senior at Penn State, majoring in Media Studies. She enjoys spending her time sleeping, eating, and watching Netflix, usually with her kitten, Kiwi, lying in the most inconvenient spot possible.  She also enjoys reading and writing until she gets frustrated and erases everything. If you want to get in her good graces, bring her a milkshake.     
just livin'.