5 Podcasts Every True Crime Lover Should Listen To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

photo via Union Hall

1. Criminal

“Criminal” is a one-stop-shop for all things true crime. This podcast is a quick and in-depth look at more unconventional crime stories. The episodes are fairly short, as they span from 13 to 45 minutes, and host Phoebe Judge’s voice is oddly soothing as she reads the most bizarre true crime stories. This podcast has been around since 2014 and has two episodes a month. It embodies the journalistic value of staying objective by interviewing everyone from victims and survivors to criminals and perpetrators. My favorite thing about Criminal is that it’s an unconventional approach to true crime. Most true crime fanatics see true crime as a huge “whodunit” but Criminal understands and explains these crimes are results of the people, place, and time. It opens a discussion about the sociological and anthropological aspects of crime. It forces us to ask why do people do what they do.  

Check it out here

photo via Facebook

2. Atlanta Monster

Atlanta Monster is a haunting investigative journalism podcast by Payne Lindey that follows the Atlanta Child Murders that went on in Atlanta, GA between 1979 and 1981. The bodies of more than 30 black children had been found all over the city of Atlanta over two years. The phrase “Serial Killer” was coined in the 1970s, shortly before the murders took place, so the city had no clue how to handle a situation like this. Atlanta Monster not only emphasizes how the murders affected individual families but also narrates how the City of Atlanta as a whole dealt with having their very own version of the boogie man. A local talent scout named Wayne Williams was arrested and convicted of the murders, which ultimately led to the public naming him the ‘Atlanta Monster’ (hence the name of the show), but has maintained his claim of innocence for decades. Many others believe he may be innocent too due to the racial climate of the city at the time. I may be biased as to why I love this podcast. I am from Atlanta and I live in the area that most of these kids were found in. My favorite thing about this podcast is that it directed the nation’s attention to a case that was grossly mishandled by Atlanta Police Department, so much so that it played a key factor in the City of Atlanta reopening the case

Check it out here.

photo via Apple Podcasts

3. My Favorite Murder with Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark

My Favorite Murder is a true-crime comedy podcast hosted by comedians and friend Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. Before I go further, I understand many may not see comedy to be appropriate when talking about some of the greatest atrocities that can happen to a person, but Karen and Georgia don’t make jokes about people being murdered, they use humor as a coping mechanism. The two are very vocal about their mental health and how true crime became a distraction from depression, anxiety, and addiction. My favorite thing about MFM is the fact that it feels like being amongst friends. Not only do Karen and Georgia make you feel a sense of comradery, they encourage the My Favorite Murder fanbase, or Murderinos, to find each other and build community amongst themselves. There are tons or Murderino sub-groups on Facebook, and Murderino Meet-ups that will make you feel like you found your community of other true crime weirdos in the world. 

Check it out here

photo via Medium

4. Disgraceland

If you love music and crime, Disgraceland is the perfect podcast for you. The series consists of two seasons that narrate infamous tales of legendary rockers like the Rolling Stones and hip hop high-rollers like Tay-K and Snoop Dogg. Host Jake Brennan tells dramatized stories about criminal activities that go on behind the closed doors of showbiz. My favorite thing about Disgraceland is that it forces listeners to humanize the rock stars whose fame has made the world look at them as Gods. It’s also a reminder that the glorified degenerate behavior that’s attached to “Rock n’ Roll” can have some grim results.  

Check it out here.

photo via Twitter

5. The Last Podcast on The Left

The Last Podcast on the Left is another true crime comedy podcast for anyone who has an addiction for all things macabre. If you like horror, but you love to laugh, The Last Podcast on the Left is perfect for you. It’s three hosts: Ben Kissel, Marcus Parks, and Henry Zebrowski all bring a gleeful attitude to otherwise disturbing topics. My favorite thing about The Last Podcast on the Left is that it isn’t solely about true crime. They discuss things such as conspiracy theories, cults, cryptic encounters, paranormal activity. The show has almost 400 episodes that are nearly 2 hours long, so if you’d like to go down a dark, weird wormhole of comedic horror stories, The Last Podcast on the Left is the podcast for you. 

Check it out here.

Sydney Potter

St. John's '20

Sydney is a Communication Arts major at St. John's University. She is from Atlanta, GA, and is a pisces, a punk, and a self-proclaimed crybaby.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.