This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As February comes to a close, and with it black history month, it is a fitting and important time to highlight books written by black, female authors. Literature is one of the few things that can still unite and educate a vast population of people, regardless of differences, and it is important that we as a society ensure that our source of literature goes beyond one type of author’s point of view.

In many schools across America, the most prevalent authors taught in schools include the likes of Shakespeare, Bradbury, and Salinger. Their commonality? They are all white men. This is not an accurate depiction of the makeup of the schools in which these books are taught, and it is incredibly important we bring diversity into our education curriculum, the way it already exists in our classrooms.

Here are five of the most incredible must-read books by black female authors.

• Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi – Homegoing depicts the experiences between both America and Ghana in relation to slavery and colonialism. The story is written in dual points of view- two half-sisters who experience two very different lives- one married to an Englishman in America, the other sold into slavery. You can purchase Homegoing on Amazon here.

• The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas – Centered around the police brutality violence in America, Starr Carter witnesses her best friend’s murder at the hands of a police officer. The book focuses on Starr’s journey to fight for what is right. This book was also turned into a movie in the year 2018. You can buy the book here.

• The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett – Set in the perspective of two twin girls over the expanse of their lives, this story focuses on the ways in which the pair choose to lead their lives. While one sister marries a black man and has a child, the other lives her life as a white-passing woman who hides her past from her husband. The story focuses not only on identity, but also familial relations over the span of many years. The book can be purchased here.

• An American Marriage by Tayari Jones – Focused on a married couple by the names of both Celestial and Roy in the south, the story opens full of promise for both protagonists, each finding a fulfilling career. However, when Roy is sentenced to prison for 12 years even though he has committed no crime, Celestial seeks comfort in another man, a former friend. Roy is released after 5 years, and the story follows the tribulations of love. You can read the novel here.

• The Fifth Season by N.K. Jesmin – The first in a series of science fiction novels, this story centers on a woman reeling with the death of her son and kidnapping of her daughter at the hands of her husband. The story details her incessant quest to find her daughter and return her to safety, even when the rest of the world has turned to ash. You can find the first of the series here.

Although this February is nearly over, it is important to remember that black voices should be heard and echoed at all times of the year, always. Reading novels such as the ones I have suggested may not only broaden your own views but also further your worldly education and expand your library.

Taylor Starr

St. John's '24

Taylor Starr is a Biomedical Sciences major who draws much of her writing inspiration from the idea of sharing information & inspiring change, as well as to pursue personal passions.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.