photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Why it’s Perfectly Fine to be Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

As hard as you try, it is hard to forget about Valentine’s Day. Grocery stores are prematurely decorated with six-dollar boxes of chocolates, heart shaped balloons, and adorable stuffed animals.

And so it hits you. You are single, and incredibly so. It is going to be a party of one on February 14th and you know it. You are already planning which flavor of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream would pair best with that bottle of wine waiting for you at home…and buying those boxes of chocolates when they are on clearance on February 15th.

You have heard it before though, Valentine’s Day is just one day out of the year and you were single before, so why does it suddenly bother you? It is because it is a day for couples and you feel excluded. We have all been there. No one is a stranger to feeling alone. 

Even though Valentine’s Day is typically for couples, make it a day to show all the people in your life how much they mean to you. Host a get together of your single friends, a “Galentine’s” Day, if you will.

Send those cheesy Spongebob themed Valentine’s Day cards to your friends and coworkers.

Call your mom or dad. They probably don’t hear from you enough anyway.

Most importantly, remind yourself that you are worthy of love. Odds are, you are probably a pretty great person on your own!

On Valentine’s Day, and everyday, love yourself

SEU '18 Content Producer for Topper Radio Host of Don't Get Me Started Local cat lady Breakfast food enthusiast
Taylor Duane

St Edward's