andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Steps to Take Before Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Studying abroad may prove to be the most memorable thing you do during your time in college.  Study abroad opportunities are available to everyone.  There are many financing options available, so if you are considering studying abroad, look into it! You may find that it’s the best decision you’ll ever make.

1. Go to an information session and fill out an application

The process to apply for study abroad begins with inquiring about which opportunities are available.  You will talk about financing options, possible locations, when a study abroad trip will work best with your college schedule, and which classes will be offered where.  Once you decide where and when you want to study abroad, you will fill out an application. You will fill out questions about your dreams and goals as well as a section about why you wanted to apply for study abroad in the specific location that you chose. There are other forms that must be filled out and signed, but for the most part, the application process is not very time consuming.  If all goes well, you should be accepted into the program within a couple of weeks.

2. Attend the manditory orientation sessions

These will seem pretty tedious at times, but they will actually help you out a lot.  During these sessions you will learn what you need to pack, safety tips for traveling abroad, a detailed description of the classes offered, and any internship opportunities there might be while you are abroad. At these meetings, you will also have the chance to meet your professors and other students going on the trip with you. 

3. Buy your airline tickets

Do this as soon as you know when your semester starts and ends.  Airfare only increases as time goes on; the longer you wait, the more expensive your tickets will be.  Airfare to and from your study abroad destination is most likely not included in the program cost.  Student Universe offers discount ticket prices to students and may prove to be a great resource to use when purchasing plane tickets.   

4. Get  a student visa and make sure your passport is up to date

If your current passport is expired or if you do not already have a passport, you will need to get one before traveling.  This can be time consuming because unless you expedite your passport, it can take anywhere from three to six weeks to get it back.  Also, check to see if the country you are going to requires a student visa.  Your  study abroad adviser should be a big help during this process; they will help you fill out the neccessary paperwork.  Make sure that you start this process early enough–it can take a month or longer to recieve a visa.  Make sure you know in advance what you need to bring with you to your consulate appointment and where you need to go.

5. Enjoy your time left at home!

Once your passport and visa processes are taken care of, you are in the home strech before departing on your journey.  Take this time to enjoy being with your friends and family.  If you are studying abroad for an entire semester, you won’t be able to see them for about four months. Spend as much time with them as you can, because you will miss them once you are gone.  Remember to pack all of the essentials, and most of all, prepare yourself for the adventure of a lifetime!

Samantha is a Senior English writing and rhetoric major at St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas. She just got back to America after studying abroad for a semester in Angers, France. On top of writing for Her Campus, Samantha is a teaching assistant for freshman writing classes and a news reporter/ social media editor for Hilltop Views, her campus newspaper. Follow her on twitter @samanthdriscoll and instagram @sdrisco.
Brooke Lewis

St Edward's

Brooke Lewis is a senior English Writing & Rhetoric major at St. Edward's University in Austin. She has one left semester left and plans to study journalism in graduate school, after graduation. She also is interning at The Austin American Statesman this semester, for the online department. Brooke has been obsessed with magazines since the 7th grade, when she created one with her friends and distributed it to the girls in her grade. Besides writing, Brooke enjoys playing the piano, hanging out with friends, and watching too much DVR'd television. Some of her favorite shows include Scandal, Nashville, Grey's Anatomy, and the Real Housewives franchise (quality television right there). Brooke is excited to be Co-Editor in Chief of St. Edward's chapter of Her Campus this semester!