Meet Katy Szendrey!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Age: 19

Major: Communication

Grade: Sophomore

Hometown: Grapevine, Texas

Relationship Status: “Nah fam, hmu tho” (Single)

What are you involved with on campus?

“I am involved in residence life, and am a resident assistant at Hunt hall. I work for Topper Radio where I’m a programming director, and I host a show with Alexa Boone called ‘Alt About It’. I work at Jo’s where I am a barista and a shift supervisor! I get to make coffee and talk to people about their days and recommend which sandwich they should buy. I also pet all of the dogs on campus.”

What is your favorite TV show and why?

“My favorite TV show is The Office because I think everyone can relate to all of the characters a certain way. You can relate to Pam and Jim’s relationship, because you probably want your love life to end up that way. But you can also relate to Michael Scott because he’s a little weird, and Kevin is just great. Kevin is my favorite character because he’s just great.”

What is your favorite part of your St. Edward’s experience so far?

“My favorite part of my St. Ed’s experience was my freshman year when I was in Hilltop Leaders and I got to go to Chicago. I got to experience and explore Chicago with my group who I got really close to during the year long program.”

Give us some good food places to check out in Austin/ What should we order at each?

“When I go to Gourdough’s Public House, I get the ‘Three Little Guidos.’ Also, at Torchy’s I also get the taco of the month. It’s always exciting when the month changes and my first thought is, ‘oh my God, there’s a new taco at Torchy’s.’”

If you could be a fictional character, who would you be and why?

“I would be Daenerys Targaryen (Khaleesi from Game of Thrones) because first of all, she’s a boss ass bitch who is trying to rule the kingdoms, but she’s doing it through peace instead of military strength. Also, she has pet dragons that she gets to hang out with all the time. Also, she’s beautiful, and a very powerful and strong female icon.”

Who is your favorite professor you have had at St. Edward’s?

“Dr. David Thomason because he really listens to your concerns and you can tell he really cares what he’s teaching about. He teaches my American Dilemmas class.”

Who is your favorite musical artist?

“Vampire Weekend! I’ve been their fan since 7th grade. I remember watching their A-punk music video on my giant desktop computer in my house. You can listen to them when its cold and snowy, and also when it’s sunshiney and you’re about to go out on your yacht. Also, they’re hilarious. Ezra Koenig is so funny on twitter, and they’re all really talented and smart.”

If you could travel anywhere in the world for a year, where would you go?

“I’d probably go to Hungary because I’m Hungarian, and it’s a beautiful country. I visited when I was in 7th grade, and they have such good food. It’s the best food I’ve ever had and it’s all homemade too! It would be cool because it’s in central Europe, so I could travel to neighboring countries by train.”

Alexa Boone

St Edward's

I'm one of the two campus correspondents for St. Edward's University! I am a sophomore Communication major with a focus on PR and Advertising, and I love writing. I am a senior staff member on Topper Radio where I host a radio show and manage the staff blog. In the future I hope to pursue a career in the music industry doing PR for a quality music label/music representation or icon. Living in Austin has allowed me to grow in the presence of great venues, artists, and festivals. I'm also an RA for LeMans hall, and in my free time I love going to shows, hanging out at coffee shops, and doing a variety of spontaneous activities.