Making a Long Distance Relationship Work on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Sure, managing a long distance relationship may sound simple but if you’re in a LDR then you know that it’s anything but. However, these relationships can be one of the best because it requires more commitment, trust, dedication and creativity than a lot of others. Whether you’ve just started a LDR or you and your loved one are weathered veterans, Valentine’s Day is a wonderful way to remind them just how much they mean to you, no matter the distance.

I have been lucky enough to be with my boyfriend for 2 years and 8 months, making it official at the end of our junior year in high school. However, when college started, we faced the decision that every high school couple does: whether or not to continue during college. We decided to give it our best shot and have been together ever since. The decision, while a hard one, was best for us and has made us a lot stronger as a couple. Going to separate universities does present challenges to a relationship but I have found a wonderful partner to face them with. Long distance relationships are far from easy, so creativity is vital to help keep the relationship healthy and fun.

This Valentine’s Day, all LDRs have been given a special break because this holiday lands on a Friday. See if you can get off work that weekend and plan a trip to see your loved one. Don’t have a car? No worries, neither do I. For a fairly cheap trip I recommend Greyhound or Megabus, which are both fairly inexpensive options when you purchase your ticket online.

If a bus isn’t your thing, Austin has the Amtrak train station that goes all over the country. Been saving up for a while? How about a plane trip? If none of these options work, talk with your significant other and see if maybe they can come visit you for the weekend instead. Make sure to compare prices to see what will work within your budget!

Can’t get to see them this time? Don’t stress, because you’re probably already a pro at showing your love in a creative way. Here are some ways you can  make them feel special, no matter the distance.  

Send flowers

Sure the guy is usually the one sending the flowers but why not you? Take initiative and send him flowers to brighten his day and let him know you were thinking of him.

Write a love letter

Okay yea this is kinda cheesy but how special would you feel if you got a love letter in the mail? Sorry but love emails just aren’t the same. They’ll be able to see the effort and love you put onto the page. An age old trick is to spritz the paper with your favorite perfume (spritz, don’t drench!) or put on your favorite lip color and send a kiss in the mail. Who knew you were such a romantic?

Make a mixed tape

Alright maybe not a tape but a CD? Send them a playlist? Compile songs that y’all sing together in the car, a song on the radio that reminds you of them, something you’ve danced to. If you make a CD, write out the list of songs and a note as to why you chose each one. Not only is it fairly inexpensive but it is full of sentiment. Design the cover with pictures of the two of you or your favorite things. Now these songs will forever remind them of you.

Make a Scrapbook

Have a little extra time this semester? Send your online pictures (you know you have hundreds) to your local Walgreens. You can upload your pictures and they’ll print them out there, ready for pickup that same day. Put together a scrapbook with pictures of you, the two of you together and sights that remind you of each other.

Skype Date

Get all dressed up and have a meal together via Skype. It may sound cheesy, but seeing your boo through a computer screen can make you feel that much closer to them. Try to carve out time to talk and tell each other how much you miss them. Classes, work schedules, clubs and resume building can really consume most of our time and energy. Make sure that your sweetheart knows just how much you love them!

On a more personal note, I’m lucky enough to be able to take Greyhound to go and visit my boyfriend. Since I don’t have a car, I’m a pretty regular customer at the Greyhound station.  It will be a familiar trip and worth it when I get there. No matter your plans this Valentine’s Day make sure to send a little love to everyone around you. Surprise the person behind you by paying for their coffee, help a friend out with notes or simply hold open the door for others. We’re all lucky enough to be able to attend SEU, so don’t forget just how much you have and spread the love! 

Current sophomore at St. Edward's University, english writing major, book nerd & lover of classic movies :)
Brooke Lewis

St Edward's

Brooke Lewis is a senior English Writing & Rhetoric major at St. Edward's University in Austin. She has one left semester left and plans to study journalism in graduate school, after graduation. She also is interning at The Austin American Statesman this semester, for the online department. Brooke has been obsessed with magazines since the 7th grade, when she created one with her friends and distributed it to the girls in her grade. Besides writing, Brooke enjoys playing the piano, hanging out with friends, and watching too much DVR'd television. Some of her favorite shows include Scandal, Nashville, Grey's Anatomy, and the Real Housewives franchise (quality television right there). Brooke is excited to be Co-Editor in Chief of St. Edward's chapter of Her Campus this semester!