Instant De-Stressors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.
If you’re anything like us, you know that a couple of weeks into school the workload starts to really pile up on you, creating stress in almost every aspect of your life. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health, so it’s important that you take time to calm down and put everything that is causing you to stress on hold. De-stressing is arguably the most important part of every healthy collegiate’s day. These five quick de-stressors are free, easy, and will have you relaxing in no time!

1. Go to the Gym

Exercise makes the body release endorphins, which will almost instantly cause a noticeable increase in your mood. So the next time you’re feeling a little bit out of control, go for a quick run around campus, go for a walk with your roommate, go to the campus gym, or get active in some other way. There are a lot of ways to make exercise fun, and your body will thank you for the natural high you experience post-workout.

2. Be a Social Butterfly

Sitting too long writing a paper or staring at a computer screen typing a paper can be straining. When you need a break, go outside or go hang out in the common areas in your residence hall. There will always be people hanging out, no matter what time it is. Socializing is a great way to get your mind off of your workload and onto more fun things like what you and your friends are going to do this weekend once you turn in your assignment.

3. Take a Nap

Sleep deprivation is very tolling on the body and brain, and it adds a lot of unnecessary stress to your life. Taking a short afternoon nap is the perfect solution, but be careful not to sleep too long, otherwise you’ll have trouble going to bed that night. Studies show that 25-30 minutes of sleep is all you need to give your body and brain time to heal, but be careful not to sleep too long. Sleeping longer than 30 minutes will make you feel even more tired when you wake up.

4. Craft it Out

So maybe you’re not an art major, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t make some DIY projects! Pinterest is loaded with DIY dorm room decorating ideas, so try some of them and let your creative juices flow! Keeping yourself busy being focused on your art project, or any other creative outlet, will distract you from thinking about stressful things.

5. Take a hot Shower or Bath

We know the last thing on your mind is a bubble bath, but it has many health benefits. Sound crazy? Don’t knock it till you try it. Studies show that warm baths can actually calm you down, especially if you add a couple drops of lavender or eucalyptus oils. So take your time and enjoy bath time. Just make sure your roomie doesn’t mind that you’re hogging the bathroom!
Samantha is a Senior English writing and rhetoric major at St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas. She just got back to America after studying abroad for a semester in Angers, France. On top of writing for Her Campus, Samantha is a teaching assistant for freshman writing classes and a news reporter/ social media editor for Hilltop Views, her campus newspaper. Follow her on twitter @samanthdriscoll and instagram @sdrisco.