How to Survive Finals, According to New Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Don’t be afraid to isolate yourself

As fun as studying in a group may be, you might want to reconsider how studying in a group with all your friends affects your productivity like-

Go to the library

If you know that you study best by yourself, the library will probably be a good place to go study.

Get enough sleep

As tempted as you may be to cram the night before, sleep is just as important. Pulling an all-nighter may seem like a reasonable decision in the short term, but it will throw off your health and productivity for the rest of the week.

Don’t skip meals

It’s okay to treat yo’ self every once and awhile throughout finals week to reward yourself for your hard work, but don’t forget to eat somewhat healthily. Try to consistently eat high-protein throughout the day so that you remain satisfied before, after, and during your exams.

Don’t be afraid to reach out to your professors during office hours

If there is a topic that you are still struggling to understand, don’t be afraid to reach out to your professors as well as your schools’ other resources, whether it be a tutoring center or math lab. Your teachers are there specifically to help you and it is better to get help sooner rather than later.

Make a to-do list and think about how long each task will realistically take you…

Create a checklist of all the tasks you need to get done and hold yourself to it.

Set a designated time for study breaks

Realistically, it is impossible to study without taking any breaks, so plan out small breaks to check your social media accounts, respond to emails, and watch cute cat videos on Youtube.

Watch your caffeine intake

While the nectar of the gods is an invaluable resource for college students (ESPECIALLY during finals season), too much caffeine can make you shaky or jittery, which will make it more difficult for you to focus while you are preparing (or taking) an exam.  

Relax.

Take a deep breath, focus on what you know, and do your best!

Good luck and happy studying!

Lesley Pettit

St Edward's

Hailing from the land of Breaking Bad and green chile, I'm originally from Albuquerque, New Mexico and I'm currently a freshman Digital Media Management major at St. Edward's University. In my free time, I'm usually going to concerts, finding new restaurants to check out, singing, or playing piano. I am an 80s movie enthusiast, an avid tea drinker, and a lover of Bernese Mountain Dogs.
...