Fun Alternatives to Fun Fun Fun Fest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Alright, let’s start off by stating the obvious – it’s time for yet another talent-packed music festival in Austin. Transmission Events’ Fun Fun Fun Fest is back for its tenth iteration since coming to town in 2006, and we’ve covered what to do if you’re going.

If you’re like me, though.. you’re not going. Be it exams, life, or general collegiate broke-ness, it’s totally understandable if your coming weekend doesn’t include dropping hundreds of dollars to jam with Grimes, CHVRCHES, or Lauryn Hill. Don’t fret, though! Her Campus has you covered with some Fun Alternatives to Fun Fun Fun Fest.

Learn about and celebrate American Indians at the Austin Powwow: 11/7, 9 AM – 10 PM

The 24th annual Austin Powwow and American Indian Heritage Festival is taking place on November 7th at the Toney Burger Center. For just $5 (which includes parking!) you can take part in a huge amount of activities, with food, crafts, and the big heritage dance going on throughout the day. This is one of the biggest powwows in Texas, and a great opportunity to broaden your horizons a bit and connect with the vibrant, enduring culture of our indigenous communities. http://www.austinpowwow.net/austin-powwow/

Spice up your life with Operation Chili Challenge: 11/7, 11 AM – 2 PM

Who doesn’t love a good cookout for a good cause? $10 gets you in to this charity event benefitting Heroes Night Out Veterans Resource Center, where the best chili recipes from the community will be awarded with cash prizes and citywide bragging rights. Grab your strongest-stomached friends and head to the CORT Furniture Rental and Clearance Center to try out some delicious chili. http://heroesnightout.org/event/operation-chili-challenge/

Rock out to some traditional European music at the Austin Celtic Festival: 11/7 – 11/8, 12 PM – 7:30 PM

Okay, as the son of an Irish-American I’m a little biased here.. but your typical Austinite may only think of Celtic peoples as kilt-wearing, claymore-toting highlanders with red hair and green shirts. Come down to Fiesta Gardens this weekend to enjoy one of the biggest Texas gatherings of Irish, Scottish, and Breton peoples with food, crafts, dancing, and over 30 local vendors. Personally, I’m excited for the sheepherding demos – the herding dogs are insanely cute! http://www.austincelticfestival.com

Photo Courtesty of Austin Celtic Festival 

Stay in and sit online!

Saving the best for last, I know. If you’re an introverted, broke, and occasionally lazy person like me, there’s tons going on this weekend that you don’t even need to leave your dorm to enjoy. With livestreaming events like twitch.tv’s eight-day marathon of Bob Ross’ The Joy of Painting and the Extra Life Charity Stream hosted by St. Edward’s own Topper Radio, or the gold standard of Netflix ’n chill, you have the Internet ready to take up your weekend if going outside and socializing sounds like too much.

Austin is a city of hustle and bustle for everyone – not just college students! These are just a few of the low-cost/high-fun events going on this weekend. Check out lists on Austin360 and the city website to see more.

Is there anything huge we missed? Let us know on Twitter @HCStEdwards, and stay hip.

lordplaza

St Edward's

pop cyberpunk
Alexa Boone

St Edward's

I'm one of the two campus correspondents for St. Edward's University! I am a sophomore Communication major with a focus on PR and Advertising, and I love writing. I am a senior staff member on Topper Radio where I host a radio show and manage the staff blog. In the future I hope to pursue a career in the music industry doing PR for a quality music label/music representation or icon. Living in Austin has allowed me to grow in the presence of great venues, artists, and festivals. I'm also an RA for LeMans hall, and in my free time I love going to shows, hanging out at coffee shops, and doing a variety of spontaneous activities.