Five Questions People Ask About Tattoos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

What’s going to happen when you’re old and wrinkly?

This is probably the most common response people give to tattoos and it’s also a pretty weak argument. Tattoos or no tattoos, everyone will be old and wrinkly one day so does it really matter if your tattoos eventually wrinkle? The answer is no. You rock those tattoos when you’re old and wrinkly.

How will you get a job?

It’s 2016, not 1957; you can most definitely be employed AND have tattoos. There are tons of people who are living proof of that fact. If being tattooed deemed us unemployable, half the world’s population wouldn’t have jobs. Don’t let anyone tell you that getting a tattoo guarantees unemployment.

Do you realize that’s going to be on your body FOREVER?

Of course we realize they will be on our bodies forever! That’s the point! If we didn’t want the commitment we would get henna tattoos. Tattoos are a means of expressing yourself, of saying “hey I like this thing so much that I’m willing to put it on my body permanently.”

What if you regret it?

Sure, there are people out there who have tattoos they regret. But if you’re smart about what you’re getting, where you’re getting it, and what artist you’re going to have do it, you’ll never regret getting a tattoo. Personally, each of my tattoos reminds me of a certain time in my life. I can look at my very first tattoo, a small treble clef above my ankle, and think about how I’ve changed and grown in the five years since that first time I walked into a tattoo shop.

What if other people don’t like it?

If you do decide to get a tattoo, you have to understand that you are going to run into people who won’t appreciate it. I have a beautiful piece on my thigh, one that means a lot to me, and I’ve encountered a handful of people who didn’t like it. I even had one complete stranger tell me it was “a disaster.” Keep in mind that you are getting a tattoo for yourself and it doesn’t matter what anyone else has to say about it.

The bottom line is, tattoos are a personal decision not a group decision. If you have your heart set on one and the only thing holding you back is the fear of being judged, do it. We promise you it’ll boost your self-confidence.

Taylor Duane

St Edward's