samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Conquering the Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

It’s nearing the end of October. The days are getting shorter. The temperature is dropping − much like most college student’s motivation levels. Suddenly all that motivation you accumulated over the break has burned out. Going to class sounds more and more unappealing. Your bed is more tempting than ever over that stack of books sitting on your desk. Naps are a daily ritual. The word “whatever” is taking over your vocabulary. Also, your level of procrastination would be through the roof, but like you, it’s decided it’ll get up later.

Does any of this sound familiar? This “Mid-Semester Slump” is not uncommon among college students, but it’s also not undefeatable.  With these tips you’ll be headed out the door to the library in no time…or at least out of bed.

Set reasonable, daily goals. If you tell yourself that you’ll sit down for 5 hours straight tonight and finish that paper due next week, you are going to set yourself up for failure. Instead, set a goal to sit down at an actual table, and make the outline for your paper. That way, your goal is easily attainable and once you accomplish it, you’ll feel great and motivated. If you can do this, you can do anything.

Treat yo’ self. Set up a reward system for yourself. “Treat yo’ self” for doing a good job. Choose a reward that will really make you work for it. For example, if money motivates you, set aside $1 for every undistracted hour of studying you do and at the end of the week go out and treat yourself for a job well done. If ice cream motivates you, buy a pint of your favorite flavor and put in your freezer at the beginning of the week and if you study sufficiently for that killer science exam you can have it over the weekend. If you’re really serious, enlist your roommates and/or friends to help keep you on track with this.

Speaking of which…

Assemble the squad. If you have friends who are also suffering from the Mid-Semester Slump make a study group. Really, everything is more fun with friends. Reserve a room in the library or go to a local coffee shop. Come prepared with your laptop, charger, headphones, and snacks. Knowing you are in this together is comforting, and your squad can keep you accountable if you somehow wonder onto Twitter.

Get organized. Having a clean space makes you feel more productive and that you can conquer the world. So, clean the clutter from your desk. That means recycle those empty water bottles, organize those papers, and get those dirty plates off your desk. Make your bed. Seriously. You’ll feel like your life is less of a mess if you aren’t living in a mess.

Make a killer study playlist. Music has the power to set the mood for any situation. Customize your own study playlist with non-distracting tunes. Mellow, acoustic music tends to work best, but find what works best for you. I recommend the entire discography of Edith Piaf. If you don’t feel like making a playlist of your own, Spotify has a great playlist called “Deep Focus” that anyone can listen to. If you want, you can also mix in some inspirational, empowering songs to get you through any rough patches. Some great “I can do anything” songs are “Feeling Myself” by Nicki Minaj featuring Beyoncé, “Wonder Woman” by LIONBABE, and “Legend” by Drake.

Fantasize. Above all, remember why you’re in school and where you want to be in 5 years. Think about how you’ll get there. Will you get there by sleeping all day, or will you get there by getting work done? Your call.

This time of the year can be draining, but with the right mindset you can get through it.

SEU '18 Content Producer for Topper Radio Host of Don't Get Me Started Local cat lady Breakfast food enthusiast
Taylor Duane

St Edward's