10 TV Shows to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.
Sometimes school can get to be a bit too much to handle at times, especially when mid-term time rolls around. Trust us, these shows will prove to be the perfect distraction, providing you with the perfect amount of drama, comedy, and romance. So mark your calendars and gear up for new seasons and episodes from some of TV’s most popular shows as well as a couple brand-new ones.

Warning: Major spoilers ahead!

1. New Girl

Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 16, at 9/8 central on Fox 

What to expect: With Jess and Nick broken up, the gang has been going through lots of hook ups. On top of that, Schmidt is still obsessed with Cece, who will be going to college this season.

2. The Big Bang Theory

Premieres: Monday, Sept. 22, at 8/7 central on CBS 

What to expect: Well, shippers of Penny and Leonard can finally relax now that the on-again off-again couple is finally engaged. It’s safe to say that their wedding is going to be amazing! Also, Sheldon hastily left town in last season’s finale, so we’ll get to see what happens upon his return. 

3. NCIS

Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 23, at 8/7 central on CBS 

What to expect: This season starts off right after Gibbs loses his dad, and the premiere is action packed. Gibbs and McGee find themselves in Russia, and we’ll finally meet the last of Gibbs’ ex-wives. Since Ziva’s departure from the show, fans have been waiting for a new love interest for DiNozzo, which will happen this season.

4. Awkward

Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 23, at 9/8 central on MTV

What to expect: The mid-season finale left viewers with many questions unanswered, the top one being: Is Eva really pregnant? Executive producer Mike Chessler confirmed that the test was real and that “all of [the] characters will be dealing with the blow back” when the show returns. Jenna is going to try to evaluate her priorities, but we’ll see is she and Matty, or even she and Luke, are ever going to try to get back together.

5. Faking It

Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 23, at 10/9 central on MTV

What to expect: In last season’s finale, we saw Lauren popping pills, but this season we’ll find out why. Also, Amy and Karma have some serious making up to do, especially since Liam and Amy had sex after he and Karma broke up. We’re sensing that some major drama is going to unfold this season!

6. Law and Order: SVU

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 24, at 9/8 central on NBC 

What to expect: Last season, Benson received a promotion and a foster son, while fans dealt with the departure of Agent Stabler. Executive producer Warren Leight hints that this season will be exploring “the various notions of what is family.”

7. Modern Family

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 24, at 9/8 central on ABC 

What to expect: Mitch and Cam’s season finale wedding finally happened, despite a natural disaster that seemed to really get in the way. Meanwhile, Manny finally begins his first relationship, and Haley has some serious feelings for male-nanny Andy. We can’t wait to see if anything will happen between the two!

8. How to Get Away With Murder

Debuts: Thursday, Sept. 25, at 10/9 central on ABC 

What it’s about: Annalise Keating, portrayed by two-time Oscar nominee Viola Davis, is a law professor in this new legal thriller. She gets involved with four students from her “How to Get Away with Murder Class,” and the four students will have to apply their learning to real life. 

9. Manhattan Love Story

Debuts: Tuesday, Sept. 30, at 8:30/7:30 central on ABC 

What it’s about: This new rom-com will follow the inner monologues of Peter, played by Jake McDorman, and Dana, played by Analeigh Tipton—two “unlucky-in-love twentysomethings.” Viewers will get to see, and hear, how these two lovebirds get together.

10. The Walking Dead

Premieres: Sunday, Oct. 12, at 9/8 central on AMC 

What to expect: Last season’s cliffhanger left Rick and the others trapped in a boxcar. Executive producer Scott M. Gimple says that this season “will define these characters. It’s going to be an interesting journey.” Viewers will get to see exactly what everyone will do to survive.

Samantha is a Senior English writing and rhetoric major at St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas. She just got back to America after studying abroad for a semester in Angers, France. On top of writing for Her Campus, Samantha is a teaching assistant for freshman writing classes and a news reporter/ social media editor for Hilltop Views, her campus newspaper. Follow her on twitter @samanthdriscoll and instagram @sdrisco.