The Voice Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

So as you have all probably gathered, we here at HC St Andrews love a bit of A Cappella. It is just amazing what human voices can recreate. 

Saturday saw The Voice Festival come to Younger Hall for the St Andrews Regional round, and excitement was palpable. The event was sold out, and the queue to get in stretched down North Street. Once inside, everyone was anxiously waiting for the acts to take the stage. The event was hosted by The St Andrews Revue, who provided some quality entertainment in between acts, but everyone was really there for the singing. 

The four St Andrews groups that entered, The Alleycats, The Accidentals, The Hummingbirds, and The Other Guys were amazing as usual. The crowd went wild when The Other Guys stripped off their suits in the middle of their set to perform a Justin Bieber tribute in short shorts and tank tops. And every group put a distinctly St Andrews spin on the lyrics of their songs. 

What really impressed me was the quality of Choral Stimulation from Glasgow University, and Aberpella from Aberdeen. Both groups were up to the standard of St Andrews A Cappella. In fact, Choral Stimulation won the regional round and will be headed to London to compete against the rest of the country on March 15th. 

If you didn’t make it this year, make sure you get tickets to next year’s event. I predict that all the groups will be even more improved and with new tricks up their sleeves. 

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.