Life > Experiences

Upcoming St Andrews Events You Shouldn’t Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As the new semester begins, many of us will once again promise ourselves to focus more on studying, and yet still wondering what to do on a free day in our small town as we reconnect with friends after the winter break. To put an end to that wondering, here’s a short list of fun events you can attend in St Andrews this winter. 

Met Opera 22-23. Fedora

Where? – Byre Theatre

When? – 22nd of January at 2:30 pm

Umberto Giordano’s opera returns to the Met for the first time in 25 years! You can see the screening at the Byre Theatre on Sunday the 22nd and pay what you can with a minimum of £10. 

Soiree Burn’s Night

Where? – Hotel du Vin

When? – 25-26th of January at 7:00 pm

On Wednesday the 25th, the night Scotland celebrates its great poet, The Soiree will be hosting “a typical Burns Supper, filled with music, dance and poetry.. The dress code is black tie and the evening programme will include a dinner and a ceilidh afterwards. The tickets for the 3-course dinner are £45, however, if you only choose to attend the ceilidh they will come up to £5.

VS23 Fashion Show | Dreamhouse

Where? – Falside Mill

When? – 9-10th of February at 8:30 pm

The third VS Fashion Show is inspired by the late Virgil Abloh. Expect to see the models in sustainable streetwear and look forward to being entertained by performers, dancers, DJs and more! Make sure to follow the dress code which is “all things white”, and then dance the night away at the hip-hop afterparty! 100% of the profits will go to the Virgil Abloh “Post-Modern” Scholarship fund and Sarcoma UK. 

SCO 22/23 Mozart Flute Concerto

Where? – Younger Hall

When? – 15th of February at 7:30 pm

Conducted by Joana Carneiro and performed by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra’s Principal Flute André Cebrián, the concerto will be taking place in Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrew’s Younger Hall. The programme includes Debussy’s “Le coin des enfants”, Mozart’s “Flute concerto in D, K314” and “Overture and Ballet music, Idomeneo” and Stravinsky’s “Dances Concertantes”. Student tickets are £6. 

And More…

Apart from the suggestions above, I would also suggest keeping an eye on the @museumsunista Instagram page for various exhibition announcements such as the upcoming “For Peatlands’ Sake” at the Wardlaw museum. Other honourable mentions include @capturecollective.sta for art events and their art history lectures and @stereoscope_magazine for the flea markets, exhibitions and more!

Katriona Hannah

St. Andrews '24

I'm a student at the University of St Andrews studying Art History and English literature. I'm Scottish Ukrainian, and was born and raised in Kyiv, Ukraine. One of my main interests lies in the sphere of stolen or appropriated art pieces and in the future I would like to work on returning Ukrainian artefacts, art pieces and cultural objects which were continuously stolen by Russia over the span of several centuries (and are being destroyed or stolen from the occupied territories to this day) back to Ukraine. Some of my other interests and passions include modern art, politics, literature, fashion, mental health, feminism and theatre.