This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Students who have attended the University of St Andrews for over a year may have noticed that Union prices have been subtly but gradually rising. Last year, our favourite electric-coloured Pablo was £5; this year the price rose to £5.50. Two years ago, you could enjoy the Union for free almost any night of the year, with the exception of admittance to Club 601, now, there is almost always an added entry fee.

On the night of the Superbowl, I decided to venture into the Union to take the temperature of student attitudes towards this year’s rise in prices. As discussing finances is a personal subject, most students wished to remain anonymous. However, recurring themes arose throughout my various discussions. Students – who are already experiencing housing shortages and rising prices of university facilities – are frustrated with the fact that this integral social space might be becoming inaccessible. 

New students might not have noticed the hike in pricing. Axel Sved, a Swedish postgrad, said that the prices are a welcome change from more expensive university venues in Sweden. For Axel, lower alcohol taxes in the United Kingdom make nights out more affordable. 

However, students who have been at the university for years have noticed this upsetting shift. ‘Having to pay admission to get into the Union after 10:00 PM, and that being a daily thing is one of the most noticeable things so far,’ remarked one student. Unfortunately, the rise in prices have made others decide to avoid going to the Union entirely. Another student said that ‘the prices have discouraged me and people I know from going to the union. Whereas I would have gone to the Union at least three times a week consistently in the past, now I’m only going when there’s an occasion or an actual event at the union. ‘It’s just frustrating to have to pay every time I want to sit at main bar and pay even more to get drinks.’

St Andrews is notorious for being expensive, and the prices throughout the town are rising. Some view the rise in Union prices in the context, and as a consequence, of this wider phenomenon.

‘I remember before coming to St Andrews someone warned about hidden expenses. As an international student coming from the US, the tuition, while it is pretty expensive, is comparatively cheaper, but I was warned so many times that I would be nickeled and dimed for every single thing here.’ The student continued, saying; ‘There are a lot of hidden fees and this just feels like another hidden fee that has been lumped in. You would think we would have consistent free access to the union, considering how expensive the uni can be.’

Love it or hate it, the Union is an important place where students from all walks of university life can convene on nights out. It provides a space for students from different backgrounds and social groups to meet and get to know each other. Priya Purdy, now a fourth year student, reflected on the role the Union played in her St Andrews experience. ‘It’s one of the most important centres of social activity. The Union is a key part of our university experience from the day we start to the day we end, not only because of the nightlife but because I could be with my friends in a group setting while meeting tons of new people.’ 

Hopefully, the Union prices won’t increase again next semester – but there is no way of knowing. Ultimately, students view the rise in prices in the broader context of the University becoming increasingly expensive and inaccessible. After a series of seemingly never-ending lockdowns, which restricted students from socialising and enjoying their university life, places like the Union should not be out of reach. After all, we are all still reintegrating back to society so painfully affected by the global pandemic.

Anya Fonstein

St. Andrews '23

Anya is a third-year studying Modern and Medieval History at the University of St Andrews. Originally hailing from Brooklyn New York, Anya began writing for her school newspaper at the start of high school and has been committed to journalism ever since. She is an avid baker and enjoys the eating part just as much as the baking part!