Turning a Summer Wardrobe into a Winter One!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

With the consistently low temperatures of St Andrews, and the expensive laundry system in halls, dressing begins to become more of a challenge as the spring months roll in but the thermometers stay the same. Instead of buying out H&M or Jack Wills all school year, learn to stretch your wardrobe, no matter the season.  

Tights and Shorts

A popular trend is the shorts–often denim–over a fun pair of tights. While black always works and is easy to find, stores such as Urban Outfitters, Primark and H&M offer patterned tights that not only keep your legs warm but also provide some fun to the outfit. Miniskirts may also be substituted for shorts, especially for a dressier look.

Dresses

While summer or spring dresses usually make up the entire look, during the cold season, the same outfit may be worn. By adding a plain long sleeved shirt underneath, as well as tights and knee high boots, dresses can still be the main event even with the layers. Peep toe shoes add a fun touch with tights, as well. 

Sweaters–mix it up

Sweaters are a great option when it comes to keeping you warm. Light cardigans can be worn all year long, while heavier ones are still a great option to carry with you in case it gets chilly. Both pullovers and cardigans look great with dresses and can help add a pop of colour to the outfit. In case you want a more laid back, comfortable look, oversized sweaters are your best bet. These can easily be picked up right out of your boyfriend’s closet. 

Shoes

With 70% of your body heat leaving from your head, hands, and feet, wearing the right footwear is more important than you think at keeping you warm. Boots are always a great option because they cover so much leg. If it’s a beautiful day out and you want to wear a dress but think it’s too cold, boots are the perfect thing to keep you cute and warm. Oxfords are another way to stay stylish and warm. Wear them with either bright coloured socks to add some fun to your outfit or keep it classy with simple neutral socks, either way, your feet will be warm and you will look great!