These New Abortion Laws are the Literal Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Ohio lawmakers recently passed what is known as the “Heartbeat Law,” which outlaws abortions after a heart beat for the fetus can be detected. Governor Kasich has yet to sign it into effect, but knowing his past record, it is only a matter of time before this riduculous and incredibly insensitive bill becomes the law of the state. 

One of the strictest abortion laws in recent history, it would prevent abortions even in cases of rape and incest, and even more horrendously, the heartbeat of a fetus is often detectable as early as six weeks – before the woman may even be aware that she is pregnant! So a woman could become the victim of a rape and then be forced to carry the child of her rapist or be forced into illegal methods of abortion, which, you know, should be regulated seeing as they tend to result in the death of the mother. 

Furthermore, a new law in Texas mandates that women carry out a burial ceremony for their fetuses, in cases of abortion and in miscarriage, and must bear the financial cost of these as well. I cannot even imagine what led these ‘lawmakers,’ who supposedly have their citizens best interest in mind, to believe that this regulation was necessary or even slightly humane. Having an abortion or going through a miscarriage can be one of the most painful moments in a woman’s life and to pass laws on what she does during this time is just despicable. This shows an utter lack of respect and regard for the emotional and psychological well being of women, as well as a new level of cruelty that I did not think possible. 

It is unfathomable to me that men who claim to care about lives, particularly the lives of the unborn, can be so callous when it comes to the lives of people that already exist in this world. A fetus is not a baby – it is not a person. But guess what – women are. Do you really hate us so much? Why is it so heinous to think that someone who has already been victimized or someone who is not ready to have a child should not be forced to bear a child in the first place? 

On top of that, if that mother, whom you forced into having a kid, needs social assistance in the future – let’s say, I don’t know, for diapers or housing or some other necessity – why is it that these same lawmakers suddenly turn a blind eye and are more interested in “personal responsibility?” 

It’s hypocritical and revolting. 

SaveSave

Meena Nayagam

St. Andrews

I am an American medical student at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. I have been an avid writer for several years, focusing mainly on creative writing. But I hope to be more involved in our university's culture, particularly by bringing interesting information to all of our students!