This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Throughout history, the use of colour symbolism has been integral in shaping perceptions and societal norms. The colour blue has a rich and fascinating history, particularly in its gender associations. While blue is commonly associated with masculinity, this was not always the case. In ancient civilizations, color symbolism constantly transcended gender stereotypes. Blue, as the colour associated with the sky and water, was frequently connected to divinity, spirituality, and depth. In some cultures, blue was often linked to goddesses and feminine deities, emphasizing its relationship to the nurturing aspects of the divine feminine.

The Renaissance is considered a turning point in the gendered associations of blue. Even though it was still considered a popular colour for all genders, pastel colours (including light blue) became closely correlated to femininity, while darker colours were associated with masculinity. The 18th and 19th centuries ushered in the Blue Stocking Society in England, an informal group that gave women the opportunity to meet and discuss social and educational issues in an attempt to replace “social evenings” with more intellectually stimulating conversation. Up until that point, stockings were considered male evening attire. One of the founding members of the society, Elizabeth Vessey, was credited with titling the group, as she once jokingly told a member to attend the meeting in blue stockings in response to him not having the “proper” evening attire. From then on, they were known as the Bluestockings and met consistently as a motivated group of female writers, translators, correspondents, and hostesses.

The notion of blue as a colour primarily associated with femininity continued into the 20th century, as blue was perceived as a softer, daintier colour. Pink, on the other hand, was considered a stronger, bolder color. However, this narrative shifted drastically in the 1950s, when popular advertisements pushed the concept of pink as a feminine colour. A focus on associating specific colours with babies ultimately culminated in the decision to ascribe blue and pink as the representative colours for infants. However, this distinction initially had nothing to do with gender; it was entirely based on which colour complimented which features better. Blue was decidedly more suited to blonde hair and blue eyes, while pink was intended for brown hair and brown eyes. 

When the two colours eventually became heavily associated with gender, blue was initially chosen for girls and pink for boys. The reallocation of the colours occurred because pink, a lighter shade of red, was attributed to romance, which correlated to women as they were stereotyped as more emotional and sensitive than men. There was an attempt to refute these sexist biases with the rise of the women’s liberation movement in the 1960s but to no avail. Large corporations eager to capitalize on these colour associations as a way to promote their products ultimately drowned out women’s voices, cementing the gendered colours in place for good. 

Nowadays, blue and pink remain prevalent colours used to distinguish between genders, whether in gender reveals, nursery decor, themed parties, clothing, or even the way they distinguish between newborns in the hospital. These gender associations have managed to permeate every aspect of society, grouping people into distinct categories starting from infancy. 

However, the 21st century has evolved its perceptions of gender and its fluidity to the point where blue and pink are now widely accepted as versatile colours for any gender. The challenge of the traditional colour associations so starkly set in place almost a century ago has allowed for a more open-minded understanding of the culture surrounding notions of gender. The introduction of social media into society has become a powerful tool in dismantling stereotypes related to color and gender. Influencers, activists, and everyday people use their platforms to showcase their individual styles, emphasizing the importance of autonomy and the freedom to be able to wear whatever you want. Ultimately, the rejection of arbitrary gendered color norms is both a reflection of changing attitudes but also a testament to the ongoing efforts to promote equality and inclusivity in all aspects of life.

Addie Nelson

St. Andrews '26

Hi! I'm a second year at St Andrews studying English and Art History. Throughout my life, writing has been a way for me to engage with topics I deeply care about, and I can't wait to continue exploring this passion at Her Campus. Besides writing, I love reading, listening to music, and traveling!