Wellness

The Dreaded FOMO: Why You Should Not Let the Fear of Missing Out Dictate Your University Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

We’ve all heard of FOMO – the Fear of Missing Out. As a university student, it can be hard to escape the feeling that if you don’t attend certain events or socialise with certain people, you’re missing out on something great. It’s that feeling of dread when you hear about a social event that you weren’t invited to or when you look at your peers’ Facebook posts and feel like you’re missing out on an incredible experience. It can be tempting to try and cram as much into your university experience as possible, but this often leads to burnout, exhaustion and feeling overwhelmed. FOMO can be a major barrier to enjoying your university life, and it’s important to learn how to manage it.

Whether it’s a party, a concert, or a group hangout, the thought of not being there can be overwhelming. You may find yourself constantly checking social media to see what you’re missing, or even feeling guilty or ashamed for not being able to attend.

But, the truth is, everyone experiences FOMO at some point in their lives. It’s normal to want to be a part of the action and to feel included. However, it’s important to remember that FOMO is not a healthy or productive way to live your life. So, how can you overcome FOMO and enjoy university life to the fullest? Here are a few tips:

Recognise that FOMO is a normal feeling

The first step in overcoming FOMO is to acknowledge that it’s a normal feeling to experience. It’s important to remember that everyone feels left out at some point and that it’s not something to be ashamed of. If you feel like you need to attend every event, party, or gathering on campus, chances are you’re going to burn yourself out quickly. Trying to do too much can lead to exhaustion and stress.

Reframe your thoughts

Instead of focusing on what you’re missing out on, try to focus on what you’re gaining. For example, if you can’t attend a party, think about the benefits of having a quiet night in. Instead of worrying about what other people are doing, focus on what you want to do. Make sure to schedule time for yourself to relax and recharge. You could read a book, take a bubble bath, or watch your favorite movie. Whatever activity makes you feel good should take priority.

Prioritise self-care 

FOMO can be draining, so it’s important to take care of yourself. Make sure to get enough sleep, eat well, and exercise regularly.

Focus on what you can control

FOMO often stems from the feeling that you’re missing out on something that’s out of your control. It’s important to remember that you can’t control what others are doing or what events are happening, but you can control your own actions.

Create your own experiences

Instead of focusing on what others are doing, create your own experiences. Plan a night in with friends, go on a hike, or explore a new part of campus. If you’re feeling FOMO because of a friend or a group of friends, make sure to prioritise those relationships when you can. Reach out to your friends and plan activities together when you both have free time. That way, you can catch up and make plans without feeling like you’re missing out on something else.

Seek out a support system

Experiencing FOMO can be stressful, so it’s important to have a support system in place. Talk to friends or family about how you’re feeling, or seek out a counsellor or therapist for support.

FOMO can be an overwhelming emotion, but it doesn’t have to control your life. With a seemingly endless stream of events, social opportunities, and fun activities, it can be hard to resist the urge to do everything and be everywhere. At its core, FOMO is a fear of not living life to the fullest. We constantly compare ourselves to others and think that if we don’t join in on all the activities, we’re missing out. But the truth is that there is no single path to “success” and no single experience that you must have to make the most of your university years. Everyone’s journey is different, and it’s important to recognize and accept this fact. Taking care of yourself is just as important as having fun and making memories.

Dakota Bennett

St. Andrews '24

Dakota Bennett is a third-year at the University of St Andrews, studying International Relations and Social Anthropology. As an Australian that grew up in Paris, Dakota loves to debate different perspectives and is excited to discuss everything from the latest world news to the history of fashion trends. In her free time (see also: procrastination), Dakota is most likely baking cupcakes, facetiming her dogs, or dancing around her room to Hozier.