Life > Experiences

The 5 Best Christmas Markets To Check Out This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Visiting a Christmas market is the best way to add some holiday cheer to your life, especially during the deadline and exam season! Most major cities host their own Christmas markets, where you can buy presents for loved ones or try some hot chocolate and amazing festive treats. Each Christmas market has a varied collection of stalls and offers a personalised experience for visitors, which means you can visit multiple markets and never get tired of this unique Yuletide activity. Below I have listed my 5 favourite Christmas markets, with explanations as to why you should check each of them out.

1. Skansen’s Christmas Market: Stockholm, Sweden

Skansen’s Christmas market is hands-down one of the best that I have ever been to. The market is set up on the island of Djurgarden, which holds the world’s oldest open-air museum consisting of historical wooden houses, a zoo with animals native to Sweden, beautiful gardens, and two indoor aquariums. During the Christmas season, the centre of the museum hosts dozens of Christmas stalls. The stalls sell everything from mulled wine and traditional foods to locally produced crafts. The market also has a wonderful tradition where one stall sells wrapped gifts that you can buy as a surprise present for your home! When I visited the market, there was also a local band playing festive folk music for parents and children to dance to around a Christmas tree. If you are looking for some traditional yuletide magic, Skansen’s Christmas Market is the perfect place to visit!

2. Edinburgh’s Christmas: Edinburgh, Scotland

The Edinburgh Christmas market is another wonderful market to check out. There are plenty of stalls to peruse, and the food is phenomenal. There is even a stall that sells truffle mac n cheese, which pairs perfectly with a cup of mulled wine. The market sits right on the Royal Mile, making it very easy to locate. The brightly lit ferris wheel and dazzling lights make the market a great place for taking pictures, and will put anyone in a festive mood. There are usually close to 70 traders, and you can find some amazing traders local to Scotland selling their products there.

3. Tallinn Christmas Market: Tallinn, Estonia

Tallinn’s annual Christmas market is one of the cosiest and most traditional markets that I have ever been to. The market is set up in the middle of Tallinn’s Town Hall Square, and is a close walk to a number of lovely restaurants. This market is definitely smaller than those in other cities, but that gives the scene a sense of intimacy and warmth that can be difficult to find at other Christmas markets. Tallin’s Christmas Market is also unique for its selection of traditional Estonian cuisine and the local handmade crafts- The best part of the market is the giant Christmas tree in the centre, which is a tradition dating back to 1441!

4. Wiener Christkindlmarkt: Vienna, Austria

While there are approximately 20 Christmas markets in Vienna to choose from, this market is one of the oldest and most traditional. The market hosts a nativity scene, giant ferris wheel, and even a children’s ice rink. Otherwise known as the Viennese Dream Christmas Market, the market has over 150 stalls to peruse. You can find gingerbread cookies, mulled wine, Austrian sausages, and plenty of other festive foods. There is even a children’s section of the market, where there are classes on how to make candles and Christmas cookies. On the weekends, there is usually an international choir that visits to sing Christmas carols. This is a fantastic market to check out if you want to be kept busy and walk by plenty of stalls!

5. Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square Christmas Markets: Prague, Czech Republic

Finally, Prague’s Old Town Square and Wenceslas Christmas markets are veritable winter wonderlands. Both markets are within a few minutes’ walk from each other, so you can visit both within one evening. The Old Town Square market often hosts Christmas workshops and live performances, and is the largest Christmas market in Prague. The market sits near the famous Astronomical Clock and the Jan Hus Memorial, and is the site of the Prague Christmas Tree and nativity scene. Meanwhile, the Wenceslas Square Christmas market is held near the National Museum and is known for being a great spot to grab food. The market usually has stands that offer mulled wine, klobasa (Czech sausage), pastries, and other fantastic foods. The vendors typically offer unique wooden and steel crafts, making this market the perfect place to browse for unique holiday gifts. These markets are famous among the Christmas market scene, and it is important to visit both to gain the true Czech Christmas market experience!

Molly Finn

St. Andrews '23

Hi everyone! My name is Molly, and I'm a second year at the University of St Andrews studying International Relations and Art History. I grew up in Southern California and am a total matcha and fashion addict. I'm a big advocate for focusing on self-care and mental health, and staying up to date on current events.