This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

**CONTAINS SPOILERS**

This film will give all of you the feels!

Suffragette is an incredibly powerful and poignant movie that portrays the story of Maud Watts (Carey Mulligan), who is a young married women born and bred in the poverty of London’s East End, and her increasing involvement in the Suffragette movement. A series of events awakens Maud to the depravity and disparity of women, leading to her participation in and commitment to the movement, despite significant personal and professional sacrifices: unemployment, incarceration, and alienation from her community, her husband, and even her adorable son George.

Mulligan’s performance is outstanding. She effectively conveys, often in combination, the vulnerability and strength of the films protagonist Maud while highlighting the suffering she endured. One particulary emotional moment is the separation from her beloved son and thus, the break-down of familial relations. And, in an Anne Hathaway type-move, she still manages to look incredible.

The rest of the cast is also fantastic, especially Helena Bonham-Carter as Edith New, a doctor and friend of Maud who is married to a pharmacist that supports the endeavours of the suffragettes. Suffragette also features a cameo performance from the queen of the silver screen, Meryl Steep herself, as the mysterious and enigmatic Mrs. Emily Pankhurst. Mrs. Pankhurst, dressed in black and veiled, delivers a rousing and inspiring speech before stealthily disappearing again. Interestingly, these three characters represent the different classes of women involved in the struggle, and the unity of all social classes for women’s rights.

Their performances are accentuated by outstanding cinematography and costume design; the audience is vividly transported to early twentieth century London. In particular, the hardship of living and working in the East End is portrayed particularly well through the dirt, the cold, the grey, and the general dreariness. All of this forces the viewer to appreciate the living conditions, working conditions, and access to education in contemporary Britain.

My hesitating criticism of what is undoubtedly an important film is its support of violence in achieving women’s rights. This was not the case. Arguably, a combination of different factors including the First World War as well as the Suffragists’ efforts were influential. The film depicts the desperate struggle of the Suffragettes against the law, particularly against patriarchy and institutionalism as a whole. As Mrs. Pankhurst declaims, ‘Deeds, not words.’ This quote leads to bombings in London, the smashing of windows, and the destruction of property. However, Suffragette does reiterate that the violent and disruptive action is a last resort and that men and women wouldn’t be harmed. Nonetheless, the culmination of the film is the martyr of Emily Davidson at the Royal Darby and the subsequent press coverage and attention that exploded as a consequence.

The incredible bravery and sacrifice of these women is overwhelming; suffragettes faced imprisonment and went on hunger-strikes to fight for women’s rights. Their struggle was actually and truly real. Despite their hardship, most of the characters remained hopeful. A principle motivation for many Suffragettes was a better life and better opportunities for future generations. The film references this through the characters of Maud’s son, George and Maud’s coworker, Maggie. Maggie, still a girl, toils at the laundry alongside Watts and faces unwanted sexual attention from their boss, Mr. Taylor.

Ultimately, this film not only makes you feel grateful for universal suffrage but also for changes in the law concerning a mother’s rights to her own children and a woman’s right to education. Despite weeping through the majority of the film, I would definitely say it is a must-see for all genders and generations.

Click here to view the trailer! 

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews