This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Glitter, tassels and…black dust; Starfields 2023 certainly brought out looks none of us expected at the end of an exhausting fresher’s week. Often the most anticipated event of the week, Starfields is where music lovers, fashionistas, and all that’s in between gather together in an energetic conclusion to fresher’s week.

Not solely a farewell to the fun and freedom of fresher’s week, Starfields also introduces us to FS, the committee behind the famous St Andrews Charity Fashion Show. Starting in 1992, FS has grown exponentially in recent years to become the largest student-run fashion show in Scotland. It seems only fitting that the committee behind a fashion show of such magnitude and success should also be the organisers behind the UK’s largest student-run music festival. Capacity of the event annually reaches 2,500 each year, the equivalent of around a third of the St Andrews undergraduate student body. Unsurprisingly, the festival has attracted the attention of some notable names, with previous headliners including Claptone, Riton and Endor.

Although largely unheard of by the student crowd, this year’s performance might have been a familiar name to those from the Scottish capital, as Edinburgh- born ‘Barry Can’t Swim’ (real name Joshua Mannie) took to the stage for his Lower College Lawn debut. His music consisted of a fusion of electronica and jazz, paying homage to his training as a classical and jazz pianist. This amalgam of genres created a unique sound for Starfields 2023, although, much like jazz’s unfortunate reputation as ‘elevator music’, was deemed a somewhat repetitive set list by students this year. Repetitive or not, the marquee never failed to be full as students danced the night away under a banner of dramatic lighting and smoke machines (confirmed not to be the cause of the mystery black dust).

For those of us with two left feet, the bar offered plenty of opportunity for socialising as students cosied up to one another on one of the four sides of the in-the-round bar. Service and drinks prices matched student expectations for an event of this size, but spotting friends and sizing up the new fresher cohort from the opposite side of the bar proved an excellent way to pass the time. Queue times might have been large but were matched with generous measures and sweeping energy as the bar became something of a mandatory social hub for the event. Although perhaps not the most practical layout, the choice of bar shape did provide a striking view from the banks above and something of a novelty after a week of makeshift marquee bars in the Fresher’s Pavilion. 

Sponsors of the fashion show, Spoiled Life, kicked off the night with coffee for early arrivals, but were shortly replaced by the much appreciated burger stand and creperie, a blessing to those missing dinner for the early event! The FS committee also offered glitter makeup for guests in a simple attempt to bring some Glastonbury (or maybe Summertime Ball would be more accurate)  to the Scottish shore. Bejewelled with beanbags and bunting, the venue transformed into a prismatic alcove during sunset, capturing the final days of summer perfectly and complimenting the kaleidoscope of outfits on display. 

Guests at Starfields certainly did not disappoint as students made the most of their summer wardrobes before the dreaded temperature drop. Lower College Lawn was peppered with flashes of metallic silver, sequins of every shade, streams of tassels and of course, cowboy boots of every design. The girls looked ten to none…and the guys all looked lovely in their chosen button down and bucket hat. Regrettably for those opting for a light, ethereal Coachella look, black boots and dark colours proved the more practical choice as students found themselves covered in black dust. The most probable source of the dust seems to be the lawn itself, parched from a lack of rain, as students kicked up dried dirt as they danced (ironically making the paved smoking area the cleanest place to be). 

In line with FS’s philanthropic focus, tickets to Starfields raise funds for the committee’s chosen charity. This year FS will be using their events to support Genetic Alliance UK, a cause they also chose to support last year. Genetic Alliance UK is a charity dedicated to supporting those with rare genetic or undiagnosed conditions in the UK. Money raised for the charity funds genetic testing, relevant campaigns and support groups for those affected by rare genetic diseases. Following the consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic, FS felt it appropriate to support a healthcare focused charity, finding Genetic Alliance UK aligned with their values and an impactful use of donations.

Katharine George

St. Andrews '24

Katharine is the current Chapter Leader for the St Andrews chapter of Her Campus. She is currently in her final year at St Andrews studying Modern History and English Literature. She has interests in pursuing a career in journalism or publishing and has thoroughly enjoyed the experience she has gained writing articles for Her Campus. Her topics of interest include art and culture, campus news, wellness and the environment.