This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Year O (or thereabouts).  Bethsaida (or thereabouts).  A baby is born.  A baby destined for greatness…and martyrdom, but lets focus on greatness. 

His name was Andrew.

Not to make him sound like a hipster or anything, but he came to St Andrews before it was cool.  In fact, he came to St Andrews when it was Kilrymont…  You’ve probably never heard of it.

Like all BNOCs, there is an air of mystery surrounding this founding trendsetter.  A fisherman by trade, Andrew and his brother Peter, grew up along the beautiful see of Galilee.  He first was a follower of John the Baptist, and it was through John that he came to know a man named Jesus.  Eventually, Jesus, Andrew, Peter and a few other men formed what you could consider one of the first dining clubs, the disciples.

Before settling in what is now Fife, Andrew spent years traveling and preaching along the Black Sea and Dnieper river.   He even helped to found the See of Byzantium.  As a result, he is celebrated to this day as the Patron Saint of Austria, Germany, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Romania, Spain, and Scotland, amongst other countries.  Like St Andreans today, Andrew liked to travel.  

Just as Andrew came to our town before it was in, he came to Christianity before it was mainstream.  Refusing to bend to the religious orders of the Romans, Andrew continued to preach his beliefs, and was ultimately silenced by crucifixion.  While he was probably not overjoyed to be killed slowly and painfully, Andrew was steadfast and welcomed the cross, “O cross most welcome and long anticipated! I come to you with a willing mind, with joy and desire…” Andrew was strung upon on a Saltire instead of the traditional crucifix, either by his own accord—not believing himself worthy to die in the same way as Jesus—or as a slight from the Romans.  Either way, Andrew preached for two days before passing away.  Those familiar with the town history will note that Patrick Hamilton, martyred on North Street in 1528, accepted his fate with Andrean dignity, as he burned for six hours (though in an ironic twist, Patrick was preaching against the Catholics).  St Andrews:  good students, better martyrs. 

Andrew didn’t actually arrive on Scottish soil for centuries, and by that time he was Saint Andrew.   No Oxbridge reject, St Andrew came to Fife more or less by accident.  It is said that St Rule took his relics to the ‘ends of the earth’ for safekeeping, and was shipwrecked off of our coast.  A special chapel was constructed to house the martyr, until it was replaced in 1160 by the Cathedral (now the Cathedral ruins…time wasn’t kind.)  

And now you know St Andrew.  But not really, you should look him up, he’s an interesting fellow.  He also has a delightful beard.

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.