Raisin-ing it- Post Grad Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As noted in other posts, Raisin Weekend in St Andrews is not for the fainthearted! Loads of undergraduates take part in it every year and love it- but what about Post grads??

Fear not! Postgrads take part in the craziness too and love every.single.moment of it!
I spoke to one of the postgrad daredevils who joined in on the fun when I couldn’t and needless to say she loved every moment of it and would encourage next generation of post grads to sign up straight away!!     

Hazel : Had you heard about any crazy past experiences? Maybe from your academic parents, aunt, uncle? Or even from nutty grandma?

Lotty: I heard from a father (not mine) that he shaved his hair and put it in an empty gin bottle, filled it with Bacardi and gave it to his sons and daughters as a receipt, they had to drink some of it first.

Hazel: What did you have to do on Sunday? Did mum and dad get you kitted out in some costume? Or did you have to collect random items?

Lotty: We had a costume for Monday. On Sunday we did a scavenger hunt around town which was really fun, asking someone to give you something for 5p, swapping socks with someone, getting a cucumber deep fried, getting someone to write you a love letter, singing Christmas carols to Tesco customers, etc.

We also had loads of AWESOME games at our parent’s house. This involved covering our faces with cream and throwing cheesey watsits at the face to see how many would stick. Pin the tail on St Andrew too and getting dummies out of jelly using only your mouth. The best was getting into a frozen item of clothing in the garden, you weren’t allowed back in the house until you were wearing it (it was frozen into a block! you had to sit on it, throw it against stuff… etc). We obviously played drinking games like King cup, also had forfeits for lots of things, there were shots lined up on every step on the stairs to get to the toilet, you had to spin for a number to decide which shots you took every time you needed the toilet.

There were two mum’s at our house so the siblings were put into teams and pit against each other. They also cooked us lovely breakfast (including alcoholic fruit salad and smoothie) and lovely dinner cooked for us with champagne. It was an incredible day!

Hazel-What was the craziest thing you saw during the weekend?

Lotty: Possibly the man dressed up as a giant penis covered in foam.

Hazel: On a scale of one to ten how completely foam-ed were you on Monday?
Lotty: 10

Hazel-Any advice you want to give to next year’s post grad generation?
Lotty:DEFINITELY find yourself some parents, and get lots of siblings, an extended family is so much fun and such a good way to meet people and have a great time and really feel part of St Andrews! I love my family! I’m going round their house later for tea actually!

Wow- Lotty definitely makes me wish that during Fresher’s week I had pushed myself more for a Mum and a Dad here!! 

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.