Nanowrimo Tips as Told by Cute Puppies (Part 1)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

When we think of November, we think of autumn leaves, cold nights, and Thanksgiving. But for writers, November is the dreaded/anticipated month of Nanowrimo, an event where writers try to complete the first draft of their novel or write 500,000 words of it. I thought a list of tips for those lucky, weary participants would be useful this week, as told through adorable pictures of puppies :D

1. Keep your favorite snacks and drinks on hand, for energy. Some of my writer friends are pretty much only surviving on caffeine and sugar this month :P

2. Set a time to write each day and try to stick to it – this helps in creating a routine and also helps when on days when you feel stuck.

3. Give yourself a word count to follow every day, so even when you’re feeling discouraged, you know you’re still making progress. But if you have a few days where your word count falls short, cut yourself some slack! :)

4. Your total word count is important, but remember, the end goal is to get as much of the first draft done as you can.

5. 10-15 minute word sprints can be useful for when you’re stuck and looking for inspiration.

More tips to come! :)

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p