This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

“Irregardless, ex-boyfriends are just off limits to friends. I mean that’s just like the rules of feminism.” Gretchen Wieners takes a stab at pinpointing one aspect of girl code, but what exactly are the rules? What is ok, and what is stretching it to the point where you’ve crossed that line, making yourself a target for the freeze-out? Nobody wants to hurt her girlfriends because, let’s face it, we just cannot depend on boys. Our friends make college feel like a home away from home, so a firm understanding of the by-laws and fine print of girl code will help us sail smoothly through the next few years.

Is it ok to date a friend’s ex-boyfriend?
Yes: 5   No: 5

How about her brother?
Yes: 7   No: 3

Should you tell a friend if those jeans really do make her butt look fat?
Yes: 7   No: 3

If your friend hates someone, do you have to put her on your list of frenemies?
Yes: 3   No: 7

Do you have to let your friend cry on your shoulder over a new heartbreak every week?
Yes: 8   No: 2

While on a night out, your friend has one too many drinks. Must you take her home, even if you’re having a great night?
Yes: 7   No: 3

If your friend has a boyfriend, how many times a week do you expect to see her without her other half?
50%: 5   60%: 3   75%: 1   90%: 1

Can you buy the same dress as your best friend?
Yes: 6   No: 4

Can you wear it to the same ball?
Yes: 1   No: 9

So there you have it. We can see that there is some discrepancy among girls about what is proper friend behavior, but now that you have the statistics, you can decide for yourself whether or not going for drinks with your best friend’s little brother is smart. Oh, and good luck- girls can be unpredictable.

Hayley Daen is a sophomore at the University of St Andrews, where she studies the most useless of subjects, Art History. She lives in a dinky apartment right across from Tesco, which makes throwing impromptu tea parties a snap. She loves blue-and-white striped shirts and has an (almost certainly unhealthy) obsession with Christmas.