Career > Money

Interested in getting a scholarship? Advice for St Andrews and beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The word ‘scholarship’ might conjure up images of snobby professors in a high-ceilinged room, staring down their noses at the application you poured your heart and soul into. Or perhaps you believe that only naturally-gifted students who play violin sonatas while analysing Shakespeare can win substantial academic scholarships. But a university scholarship is a genuine possibility for most students, and the first obstacle, which prevents most from getting a scholarship, is actually applying. I’ve been lucky enough to be offered more than ten academic scholarships, and I’m certain that in a lot of these cases, the fact that more qualified people did not apply significantly helped my chances.

Whether you’re looking for undergraduate or postgraduate scholarships and bursaries at St Andrews, you may be surprised by the diversity of funding opportunities available, and not only for those with top academic results. For example, did you know that scholarships are available for those who participate in St Salvator’s Chapel Choir, or that entrant students intending to study Chemistry or a related subject may be eligible for a Chemistry Purdie Scholarship? Scholarships are available even for those handy with a golf club!

If you’re looking at scholarships at the University of St Andrews, check out these links for postgraduate and undergraduate study. Write down relevant deadlines now, and allow yourself more than enough time to get them done.

There are also external funding opportunities from groups like Activia Training UK scholarships, the Angus Educational Trust (may be available to students who live, or whose parents live in Angus), the Bermuda scholarship fund, Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland, City of Dundee Scholarship (for those that come from Dundee and have lived in the City for at least five years), and the Entrepreneur Scholarship program.

That said, I also recommend looking beyond the sandy shores of St Andrews. Remember there’s a whole world of academic scholarships and bursaries available. In fact, an estimated £75 million pounds of scholarship funds goes uncollected each year due to the lack of applicants. Wherever you choose to apply, here are some tips to consider from a veteran scholarship applicant, regular scholarship reject, and occasional scholarship winner:

• Keep a list, or even a spreadsheet, of relevant scholarship dates and deadlines. It can be surprisingly difficult to keep track of all of them.
  • Try not to let rejection get to you. Instead, be proud that you are putting yourself out there and remember that most people don’t get rejected simply because most people don’t apply.
  • Talk to professors and mentors about opportunities you may have overlooked.
  • Talk to people who have previously gone through the application process. Many are happy to help.  
  • Look widely – there are so many more opportunities than you may think.
  • Apply widely – Don’t put all your scholarships in one basket.
  • Don’t rule yourself out too easily. The surest way to not get a scholarship is to not apply for it. Remember that somebody has to win this scholarship, so there is always a chance that somebody will be you.  
  • In an interview or scholarship application form, when you are asked to provide ‘a little about yourself’ or some other scarily vague question, avoid drily listing your qualities and achievements. Instead, tell the committee a memorable and interesting story, perhaps about why you love the field of research you are pursuing, or mention a challenge you have overcome which shaped you and sent you in this direction. Think about the narrative of your life, and why winning this scholarship would be an excellent next chapter.
  • Think about what makes your application memorable and unique. Don’t shy away from the particularities of your situation.
  • Personalise your resume to each application.
  • In the longer-term, consider how to build a strong and well-rounded resume. Don’t try to be like everyone else. You don’t have to lead the debate team if that is not something you enjoy. Why not lead, or even form, a different club – one that aligns with your passions more?
  • Remember, scholarship committee members are normal people. In general, they don’t want you to fail and they are not looking to trip you up. Additionally, like most people, they want to be interested and engaged. Keep this in mind when writing applications and preparing for your interviews. 

Good luck!

Ruby Ekkel

St. Andrews '21

Ruby will be graduating with a Master of History from St Andrews this year. Originally from sunny Australia, she loves to write about the natural environment, travel, plant-based living, women’s history and student wellness. When not writing or tutoring, you can usually find Ruby making music with friends or enthusing about ancient Scottish castles.