This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Previously, we may have considered November to be the month when Mariah Carey slowly emerged from the freezer to begin defrosting, appearing sporadically through shop speakers. This year, she emerged with a bang on November 1st. No, really, if you haven’t seen her Instagram announcement #MariahSZN, go check it out.

But this overnight shift isn’t much of a surprise. I was seeing mince pies and Christmas candy canes on Tesco shelves before October got into swing, and before I was even thinking about Halloween. But, in most people’s minds and homes, Halloween acts as the barrier holding Christmas back, one pumpkin at a time.

Well, mostly. The Nutcracker Christmas Shop on Market Street is open every day, year-round, greeting customers with “Merry Christmas!” as they enter, no matter the month. This in itself speaks to the popularity of the Christmas cheer, not only through its conception but also in its successful execution. As I passed the shop in the last few days, it has been bustling full of activity, with two members of staff juggling excited and holiday-ready customers.  

It may be pessimistic of me, but I believe that the global occurrence of celebrating Christmas earlier and earlier is the result of capitalism and consumerism. Mariah Carey is absolutely getting that sizeable annual check that will sustain her through the other 11 – well, 10 – months of the year (honestly, good for her). Tesco will be making more money from those limited commodities and the snacks we were craving during the months we were denied access to, which we can now buy in bulk. We can’t help ourselves when eating brings so much nostalgia for particular Christmas memories — and because they are delicious. After all, the never-ending queue for the new Christmas drinks outside of Starbucks speaks for itself, too.

However, I think it is a bit more complicated for students, and it reaches beyond Christmas delicacies and nostalgic memories.

In St Andrews, teaching ends on the 25th of November, and students go home. If one does stick around, it is usual because the exam season which starts at the beginning of December.

As a result, the Christmas Ball tend to be hosted at the end of November, as do other festive events and smaller secret Santa gatherings. These require collecting little gifts and festive outfits, not to mention, the festive cheer.

Furthermore, students of St Andrews tend to divide their celebrations between a “university Christmas”, and a “home Christmas.” To celebrate the largest holiday of the year with your friends, and in your home away from home, there is no other option than to do so in November. Beginning the season in November also allows international students access to British foods and Christmas culture during their time at university, as well as the opportunity to share their own traditions and culture with friends.

So, whether it is right or wrong, in this small university town, I think a bit of leeway is both allowed and deserved. Let me close with a small reminder to start thinking about gifts (store-bought or homemade) to avoid last-minute random purchases. Maybe take the chance to explore some of the small shops throughout St Andrews for all they have to offer!

Aislinn Nolan

St. Andrews '23

Hi! I'm Aislinn, I'm an Mlitt Women, Writing and Gender student. I wrote reviews during my undergraduate (and worked on committee for the Feminist Society), and have worked as both a poetry editor and as a publishing intern. I love reading, creative writing, and engaging with arts and culture.