This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Its hosting season! Winter means a change from going out, and bringing the festivities inside to your own home. Entertaining my closest friends is something that brings me joy and keeps me energized when the days are so short. Hosting can be a great creative outlet, even if it seems overwhelming, there are plenty of ways to make it more fun. You don’t need to travel far to host an elegant dinner party; in fact, the magic of a classy soiree can emerge right from your kitchen with some foresight, planning, and these easy tips to be the best host you can be.

Send out real invitations

The tradition of sending out invitations is one I think we’ve let go of too easily. I used to spend hours crafting my yearly E-vite for my birthday. Instead of copy-pasting a text as your invitation, try making a cute graphic on Canva, or if you’re feeling really classy you can practice your calligraphy and try your hand at paper invitations. You might even have to make a run to the post office, because seriously when was the last time you had to buy a stamp? The invitation will set the tone for your whole event, aside from providing the essential information. Paper invitations is a small action that will truly stick in the minds of your guests and take your event to the next level.

Create a Timeline to prepare

To avoid last minute stress and keeping your guests waiting, make a list of tasks you need to accomplish and a timeline of the few days before your event to adequately prepare, plotting out grocery runs, cooking prep, flat tidying time, so everything fits into your busy schedule. Simple switches like running a load of dishes in the morning before your dinner party can make your life so much easier. 

Embrace sustainability

We’re uni students; we don’t own twelve or twenty or even 6 plates that are all the same. Mismatched glassware and plates can give a lively, welcoming look to your table, especially when combined with these colorful reusable linen napkins that are washing machine friendly. Instead of opting for paper or plastic plates, try your local thrift and charity shops for fun tableware for a good price. They’ll last you longer and have more character than single-use plates. 

Set the right mood with lighting and music

Opt for warm indirect light rather than using the overhead lights. Turn on every lamp you own. Light some candles. This will make your space feel so much cozier and intimate. Scent is also an often overlooked aspect to make your space pleasant, so in the off-chance you’re not making your own mulled cider candles should do just fine. Make a playlist in advance. If you have faith in your guests’ music tastes you can even invite them to add to a shared playlist. If you’re short on time, opt for a premade dinner party playlist. My go to is Spotify’s ‘Crooner Mix’. 

Have a signature drink

The holidays are a great time to experiment with different flavors, which extends right into cocktails. longside wine and BYOB options, a signature cocktail adds some sophisticated flare and makes you look way more put together than you might actually be. I’m feeling drawn to cranberry aperol spritzes and this Peppermint White Russian.  

Keep the menu simple

Depending on the number of guests you’re expecting, you might not want to be roasting turkey for thirty people. Plus, I’m sure your guests would love to bathe in your presence rather than have you holed up in the kitchen. If you’re not opting for a potluck which can be a great option to take some work off your back, for larger groups plenty of appetizers is easier than trying to wrangle everyone to fit at your small dinner table for a sit down dinner. If you are doing a smaller, more intimate dinner, one thing I love doing is creating a seating chart in advance and making place cards for everyone. Yet another chance to show off your awesome calligraphy skills!

Breathe

Being a host can be stressful, so amid trying to time the warming of dishes, refilling glasses, and making sure you’ve said hello to everybody, take a minute to breathe and enjoy the hard work you’ve put in. Even hosts should get to relax with a glass of wine. 

Allow your guests to help clean up

Part of the holiday spirit is helping your neighbor. This year when your friends offer to pitch in doing the dishes, try saying yes. It’s likely their offer is genuine, especially when coming from a close friend. After the stress of putting on a party, know that you deserve help, and getting assistance cleaning up doesn’t make you any less of a great host. 

Ella Bernard

St. Andrews '25

Ella is a third year studying Archaeology and Social Anthropology. She hopes to pursue a career in journalism when she’s not captaining her own sailboat on a voyage around the world. In her free time you can find her at the farmers market, gathering fresh ingredients for her next dinner party. She is especially passionate in writing about travel, women’s health, and wellness.