This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Among many other things, the pandemic took from us the thrill of traveling, which, at the risk of sounding basic, is one of my favorite things in the world to do. Luckily, I had the opportunity to go on a trip to Copenhagen for a few days just before the new semester begun.

The City

Unfortunately, due to the long-lasting impact of Covid-19 and subsequent restrictions, all museums were closed so there isn’t much on which to comment. We were planning on stopping by Rosenborg castle and Tivoli Gardens – probably the most known landmarks – and, as I have heard, very much worth visiting. 

Although I could not see Rosenborg inside, walking around its gardens (Kongens Have, Danish for the King’s Gardens) made up for this loss. The building is surrounded by a small moat, right next to the Rose Garden, home to modern and ancient species of the flower that gives name to the castle. Being January, the roses were not in bloom yet, but the garden still offered a beautiful view of the palace. Kongens Have is also home to a statue of the famed children’s tales writer, Hans Christian Andersen.   

Very near our hotel was Nyhavn, the canal with a row of colorful houses and sailing boats that makes the most common postcard image of Copenhagen. It is indeed very pretty, near the sea, and close to sophisticated shops and restaurants. The only drawback is that Nyhavn is just what the postcards show: a short street of under 500m. It is nonetheless worth the visit just to see it in person!

Another famous landmark is the statue of The Little Mermaid, which sits in the harbor. Some people find it slightly underwhelming as they expect it to be larger or further into the water, but I’d argue that walking towards it along the waterfront is definitely worth it.  

Food & Drink 

I found the food generally expensive compared to other European capitals. For our first night in the city, I had booked a table in a somewhat fancy restaurant, with main courses including duck confit, steak and risotto, each for 185 DKK (around £21). At the time I thought this would be on the higher end in terms of price, but I didn’t find many good restaurants or cafes in the center that were cheaper. However, a good option for a quick informal lunch is Joe & The Juice; the company was in fact founded in Copenhagen, which means they are now pretty much everywhere around the city.  

Beyond Copenhagen 

Helsingør is a coastal town about 50 minutes away from Copenhagen by train. Its most notable monument is Kronborg Slot, the Renaissance castle that allegedly inspired Elsinore, the setting of Shakespeare’s famous play Hamlet. The palace has a military history, as from its grounds the Swedish town of Helsingborg can be seen just at the other side of the Oresund Strait, between the Danish island of Zealand and Swedish mainland. Apart from the beautiful castle, take a walk around the lively and lovely town to enjoy the atmosphere of charming buildings and local shops. 

Julia Ruiz Rua

St. Andrews '23

Hi! I’m Julia and I’m a third year from Spain studying Neuroscience. I love fashion, reading, traveling and looking after my mind and body!