A guide to St Andrews Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

When you visited St Andrews as a prospective student, an ambassador most likely mentioned all different spots for student traditions. But now that you are here, there is a lot more events to keep track of then just the Raisin customs. In order to make the most of your experience at this university we highly recommend that you attend as many processions, balls, and all nighters as you can. So get out your ical’s and get to planning.

In October you will encounter a couple of the first balls of the year. Do not feel obliged to go to all of them but pick one or two and enjoy the 20 pound glass of Champagne you just bought yourself. This way you will have not only fed a child in Africa with the price of your ticket, but you will also have an idea about what to expect from future balls. Also, if you have a friend from Canada, make them host a Canadian Thanksgiving because it is a fabulous excuse to get together and enjoy yourselves. Remember, Canadian Thanksgivings only happen in October, so find a Canadian snippety snap and call the butcher for your roast.

In November, there is of course Raisin Weekend. I highly recommend getting in touch with your academic family and having lunch, dinner, coffee, drinks, or something before raisin just so you can all get to know each other and you can all be more relaxed and have fun when the time comes. Guy Fawkes Night follows closely thereafter during which we all get wood and have huge bonfires on the beach, no matter the weather. Then of course you have American Thanksgiving. Everyone is friends with at least one American in St Andrews, so get yours and let them share with you how much they love the momentous feast of Thanksgiving. Don’t be afraid to ask to be invited either! Sharing is caring and that is what Thanksgiving is all about. And if you do get rejected you will come to mine, because there is nothing more beautiful then being so full you can’t stand it, and then forcing down a glorious cup of coffee and a slice of pumpkin pie. At the very end of the month is St Andrews Day; a catholic holiday that we get free because of obvious reasons – the sale at House of Frasers in Edinburgh. No, I’m just kidding, but the sale is pretty good, so if you can spend the day in Edinburgh be sure to stop at the sale and the Castle (the Castle is free that day of the year – normally 16 quid).

In December, there is of course Christmas Ball, which is always loads of fun. It’s pretty much freezing cold, very dark, and depressingly and endlessly overcast by that point in the year, so getting out for a bright and cheery ball is really good fun. Also, like everything we do here, the proceeds go to charity so 10 points for you for being a good person.

February and March are pretty dull, sorry guys…

In April Kate Kennedy Club hosts The Procession. It traditionally takes place in the week after Easter Break. The KKC dress up as important figures in St Andrews history and parade around town and then have a big party along the cliff by the castle in the evening. Please go enjoy this crazy experience, but don’t fall off the cliff. It’s a stupid way to die.

In May you might start to see the sun again, especially if you stay up all night on the 31st of April and then go for a dip in the North Sea on the 1st of May. The sequence of events on that morning are as follows: you will rejoice at seeing the sun, you will pat yourself on the back that you made it through the night, and then all the students will go take a well deserved nap from the festivities. A couple days later is May Day which means we get a university holiday; I know it sucks, but I recommend you take the day to plan revision considering the revision diet starts the following Monday. And then last but not least is May Ball, which is my personal favorite. The carnival in combination with normal ball festivities makes it the ball with the most variety. A word from the wise, it is freezing standing in the cold for the rides all night so find a dress with sleeves and/or bring a coat.

Well that covers everything, so make sure you don’t miss out! Plan ahead and be sure to enjoy everything that makes our traditions and St Andrews experience so absolutely memorable and fabulous!

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.