Four Nineties Sitcoms to Revisit on a Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Sometimes when I’m in need of entertainment after a long weekend, nothing cheers me up faster than a few episodes of a nineties sitcom, with its ever-constant laugh track and bawdy humor. If you’re feeling nostalgic or curious, here are four nineties sitcoms worth checking out.

1. The Nanny

Fran Fine’s exploits as a nanny to a Broadway producer’s three children have kept me in stitches through many rewatches, and I find the show so enjoyable that I don’t even find Fran Drescher’s distinct laugh annoying.

2. Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Who didn’t want magical powers as a kid? I certainly did, and whenever I watch Sabrina it takes me back to those days, even though she certainly demonstrates that magic doesn’t make everything better – in fact, it can get you into quite a pickle sometimes! Salem Saberhagen, the Spellmans’ cat, is also a standout and my favorite part of the show.

3. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

The TV sitcom that introduced everyone to Will Smith before Independence Day, with an unforgettable theme song – how could I leave it off the list?

4. Golden Girls

The lives of four retired women living together in Florida might not seem like an obvious premise for a sitcom, but this classic is a classic for a reason. Not only is the cast phenomenal, the show also addressed topics such as AIDs, race and sexuality, making it a show that you should definitely be rewatching.

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p