This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Searching for a fun Italian getaway? Look no further than Florence—a city that has a little bit of everything. As someone who spent their summer in Florence, the city has many attractions that are perfect for a fun weekend getaway as well as enough to explore for a longer stay.

Of course, as an Italian city, Florence does not disappoint in the dining dimension. Some of my favourite traditional restaurants I went to were Trattoria Sostanza (make a reservation beforehand), Trattoria Marione (super good pesto fusilli), 4 Leoni, and Cucina Torcicoda. While pizza and pasta are aplenty, don’t miss out on trying a Bistecca alla Fiorentina, the famous Florentine T-bone steak. Florence, and the greater Tuscan region, is also known for its schiacciata, very similar to focaccia but usually thinner and crispier. Tik-Tok-famous All’Antico Vinaio is pretty good if you want to try it out, but in my opinion, one time was enough for me considering the line and price (however, I was there in the summer so the line may be better if you’re not visiting during high season). Otherwise, I really enjoyed I Fratellini and Vecchio Forno, but there are so many places all around the city you can find as you walk around.

Coffee is aplenty in Florence, and you’ll find a good Italian coffee ‘bar’ nearly everywhere you go. They will vary in price depending on where you go and the level of service you get, but some personal favourites are Il Caffè Le Logge (more casual, on the go) which has very good crema di caffè and Madeleine. Though not very typically Italian, for a more brunchy experience go to Melaleuca, Shake Café, or La Milkeria.

Gelato is also easy to find, but beware of two red flags–super bright colours or big mountains of gelato, these are usually clear signs it won’t be super authentic. One of my favourite gelaterias was La Strega Nocciola which has three different locations across Florence. Other recommendations are Sbrino and Gelateria dei Neri.

If you drink, an aperitivo is practically a must while you’re in Italy. If you’re in the centre, Serre Torrigiani in Piazzetta is a cute spot in a courtyard. Otherwise, if you’re willing to spend a bit more, Caffè Gilli and Procacci are two well-known spots. While they are also pretty pricey, there are also good rooftop spots if you’re looking for a scenic view. I enjoyed grabbing some drinks and snacks before heading to Piazzale Michelangelo at sunset, which has sweeping views over the city. The famous wine windows of Florence are also always a good idea, and you can find these all over the main parts of town. As for going out, Florence’s clubs will surely not compare to clubs of bigger cities; I always had lots of fun with my friends at Flo and Yab. I haven’t been to all of these personally, but some other options to go out (though not exhaustive) are Space, Tenax, Club 21, and Babylon. Mainly pulling in American university students that are studying abroad, Red Garter and the Lion’s Fountain are also popular spots.

As home to the Italian Renaissance, Florence does not lack in art or history. Head to the Uffizi gallery to see “the Birth of Venus” and other famous works by Botticelli, Michelangelo, da Vinci, Caravaggio, and Raffaello (I would recommend buying tickets ahead of time). A 15-minute walk North past the famous Duomo is the Galleria dell’Accademia, which houses Michelangelo’s David (I would also recommend buying tickets here in advance). Besides the David, there isn’t much to note seeing at the Galleria dell’Accademia and if you’re on a time crunch, I would recommend visiting the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens (they are right next to each other so you can buy a combined ticket to both at the ticket office), both of which sit just across the Arno River and the famous Ponte Vecchio.

If you are looking to do some shopping, the centre of Florence has a vast selection of brands—high and low end (e.g., Zara, Subdued, Massimo Dutti, Maje, Zadig & Voltaire). Otherwise, there is a monthly market in the Santo Spirito square every second Sunday of the month as well as some other good vintage and charity shops near it on Via dei Seragli. On the North side of the Arno, there are a few more vintage shops near Ponte alla Carraia. There is also the famous leather market of Florence where you can find leather goods—mostly wallets and bags—but there are a ton of leather goods stores around Florence that sell similar products. Right by Santa Maria Novella square there is the famous and historical Officina Profumo Farmaceutica which I would say is worth a visit.

Florence is a lovely city to visit and has things to do for everyone. It’s a geographically small city, so you will often stumble upon great finds anywhere you look, especially if you’re staying in or near the centre. I can’t recommend it enough; it is a must visit in Italy and Europe in general.

Sofia Podini

St. Andrews '27

Hi! I am Sofia Podini and am currently a first-year student at the University of St Andrews studying international relations and modern history. I’m originally from Washington, D.C., but also have family in Italy. Outside of academics, I love fashion, film, reading, travel, and concerts!