Five Ways to Spice up Your Accomadation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Five Ways to Spice up your Accommodation! 

By Caroline Pratt

As a Fresher, room decorations are just about the only way to spice up the (usually) drab blank walls of residence halls across campus. Here are a few ways you can make your room stick out at uni:

1. Picture this!

Photos are essential to bring to uni. Whether they be of family, friends, past holidays, or even your favourite celebs, photos instantly personalize a room. Print out photos and easily stick them on on walls using Blu-Tac, so to not damage or chip the paint. Although certain halls can be stricter than others, this is usually allowed. Make sure to arrange pictures in cool ways, creating different shapes, objects, or illusions. Make it your own!

2.     Flag

Did you know St Andrews represents more than 120 nationalities across the globe? Represent your home country and invest in a flag. Not only will this make you look super patriotic, but it also makes your room unique to your roots and reminds you of home, wherever that may be.

3.              Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

While finished wine bottles can often sit in my room for days on end, put them to good use by placing fresh flowers or even fairy lights in them. This will brighten your room immediately and add a unique twist. Simply peel off the label, fill the bottle with water, and place authentic (or fake) flowers to instantly bring some elements of spring to your room, even in the cool temperatures of autumn.

4.              Wanderlust.

Although we may live in ‘The Bubble’, we still from time to time leave Scotland for the weekend and travel. A perfect way to document all these travels is purchasing a map to hang on your room wall. Here, it is easy to document your travels from Morocco, to Bruges, or Copenhagen by putting a pin in each place you’ve gone or want to go to. 

5.              Make your room magical with fairy lights.

Fairy lights are the perfect answer to adding some light to your room! Whether it may be the traditional fairy lights, lanterns, or other creative lighting fixtures, these instantly make your room cozy and warm after a long day of lectures. Check out urbanoutfitters.com for a unique selection.