This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

For those who hope to spend more time out of St Andrews, but don’t necessarily want to trek to Edinburgh or the Highlands, look no further than the surrounding area of Fife. While countless students have made the 20-minute bus ride to the quaint and charming Harbour Gallery & Tea Room in Crail, many don’t explore much further beyond there. Nestled on Scotland’s eastern coast, Fife is a treasure trove of natural beauty, historic charm and artistic flair.

Let’s start simple: the Fife Coastal Path. While the St Andrews to Crail route is heavily frequented by students escaping the bubble of St Andrews’ town, many neglect the route beyond: through Anstruther, Pittenweem, St Monans, and Elie. This path is more than just a route. Not only will hikers have the opportunity to traverse sandy beaches, rocky cliffs, and serene woodlands, but also the opportunity to witness a diverse range of marine life: seals, seagulls, and so forth. You might even happen to stumble on a Highland cow! The Coastal Path stretches over 115 miles, but with the ease of buses in the local area, people are invited to walk the path in segments, choosing where to start and end.

The topic of Fife villages brings to the table the wonderful culinary scene that has sprouted up in the region. Elie, arguably one of the most picturesque coastal villages, harbors The Ship Inn, a gem nestled within the picturesque seaside village and offering a dining experience that mirrors the charm and beauty of its coastal setting. Renowned for its fresh, locally sourced seafood, the menu at The Ship Inn is a testament to the rich bounty of Scotland’s waters. On a recent visit to the Ship Inn, I took care to notice that each dish was prepared with a touch of elegance and simplicity that highlights the ingredients’ natural tastes. The Ship Inn is not only a wonderful place to end your Fife Coastal Path journey, but also warrants a journey in itself.

In stiff competition with Elie’s Ship Inn is Anstruther’s Dreel Tavern and The Cellar, each offering distinct dining experiences. The Dreel Tavern, is a cozy and historic pub, and offers a warm welcome to those in search of traditional Scottish food and a pint of local beer. Its menu, rich with comfort foods, serves as a reminder of Scotland’s hearty cuisine. Around the corner, The Cellar offers a contrasting dining experience, boasting a Michelin star that speaks to its exceptional quality. Here, guests are treated to a gastronomic journey through meticulously crafted dishes that showcase the creativity and innovation of Scottish cooking. With an emphasis on local seafood and seasonal ingredients, The Cellar’s tasting menus are a celebration of Fife’s wonders. Together, the Dreel Tavern and The Cellar encapsulate the spirit of Anstruther’s culinary landscape, offering both the comfort of tradition and the thrill of contemporary excellence, and provide excellent excuses for you to escape the St Andrews restaurant scene.

If you search for a more rugged nature experience, look toward the East and West Lomond, which dominate the central landscape of Fife. As the highest peaks in the area, these hills offer panoramic views that stretch across the countryside and beyond. East Lomond, the more accessible of the two, in my opinion, invites hikers to a relatively straightforward climb. On the other hand, West Lomond is a more challenging trek, rewarding people with views of Edinburgh and maybe even the Highland peaks on a clear day. The hills are also a haven for wildlife, with rare plant species and birds of prey frequently spotted. Just a quick 30 minute drive from the heart of St Andrews, these hills can be completed in one go or each on their own. 

For those who might want a more historical perspective of Fife, I suggest trips to Loch Leven and Dunfermline Abbey and Palace, each offering unique windows into Scotland’s past. Loch Leven, a 45-minute drive from the center of St Andrews, houses Loch Leven Castle, where Mary, Queen of Scots was once imprisoned. Perched on an island within the tranquil waters of Loch Leven, the castle’s ruins whisper tales of intrigue, power struggles, and the Queen’s turbulent reign, all of which you can learn more about there. Dunfermline Abbey and Palace, on the other hand, is a testament to Scotland’s medieval grandeur and religious devotion. While the trip takes about 55 minutes, the Abbey and Palace evoke images of the regal splendor that once adorned the site, and offer visitors a glimpse into the lives of Scotland’s ancient royals, ultimately making the journey worth it.

Fife is more than just St Andrews. So, next time you find yourself in search of something new and exciting, I invite you to look beyond the three streets. Take a bus to Anstruther to enjoy a beer at the Dreel Tavern or maybe lace up your hiking boots for a trip up West Lomond. Whatever it is, it seems only right to understand St Andrews’ surrounding area.

Olivia Dillon

St. Andrews '25

Olivia is a 3rd year from New Jersey studying Economics and Management. As she was previously pursuing a degree in English, she has missed writing about topics she is passionate in. Aside from writing, she enjoys spending her free time running, practicing yoga, and cooking, as well as reading (a lot!).