This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

I already hear you saying, “Ewwww, gross, not for me thanks.” But bear with me.

Recently, the Her Campus St Andrews team was generously sent a box of goodies for both campus correspondents and writers, including the DivaCup. This was almost an act of fate, as I was that very day going to purchase one online but then there was one for me to try for free! Magic.

Fed up with the hassle and the expense of the usual sanitary products, I was looking at alternative solutions. Having been very hesitant about trying the DivaCup (or equivalent), I was won over by two stellar reviews by friends of mine and by the many more I found online. Given all this, I had to see for myself if what everyone was saying was true, and I’m here to declare it: IT’S AMAZING.

Here are a few things that I’ve found to be true of the DivaCup:

1)     It’s comfortable – if inserted correctly you really can’t feel it at all.

2)     It’s easier to use than I had anticipated- even though it takes slightly longer than using other sanitary products, you only have to remove/insert it 2-3 times per 24-hour period. This means you can do it in the comfort of your own home in the morning and then in the evening without having to worry about: bringing “rustly” supplies to the library or lectures, then trying to sneak them out of your bag to take to the bathroom, and then enduring that painfully awkward moment when everyone in the bathroom goes silent. I know you know what I mean.

3)     It’s not gross or messy– with practice. 

4)     It doesn’t leak – perfect for night-time wear and for doing all kinds of sports, including swimming.

I have to admit that these things are only true with a bit of time and practice. The first couple of uses are slightly difficult, and some online reviews say it can even take a couple of cycles to fully feel comfortable. Also, it is imperative that you read and follow the instructions to save you time, discomfort, and potential leaks.

The DivaCup is environmentally friendly, as it is made of healthcare grade silicone and free of plastic, latex, colours, and dyes. The fact that it’s reusable means there are fewer sanitary products clogging up the seas and contributing to climate change- wahoo! 

Furthermore, it is an incredibly economic choice – it lasts for up to 10 years! Research has suggested that the average British woman spends approximately £18,450 on her period in a lifetime. So, although the DivaCup may cost £21.99 (from Superdrug), you usually would spend this amount on 2-3 periods- basically, it’s a total bargain. 

Too many times in the past I have seen the Always adverts with the quippy catchphrase, “Have a happy period” and thought to myself, “Who are they kidding?” Yet, it seems they were on to something. It may not be true of their own products, but it definitely is true of the DivaCup!

More information can be found at: divacup.com

Freya Liddell

St. Andrews

3rd Year History student at St Andrews