Discover The Best UK Gallery Exhibitions This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As the new academic year begins and classes become increasingly more time-consuming, visiting new gallery exhibitions is an excellent way to find creative rejuvenation and a break from the monotony of your daily routine. As we are now in a post-covid world, the UK’s art calendar has naturally begun to fill up again. This autumn promises a handful of exciting new exhibitions to check out at galleries across the UK, which incorporate the best of this year’s museum acquisitions. Read below for the most prominent new gallery exhibitions to visit within the upcoming months. 

Cezanne

Tate Modern: Open October 6, 2022 to March 12, 2023

Opening this October, the Tate Modern’s Cezanne exhibition conducts a biographical exploration into the artist’s life and journey to recognition. From Cezanne’s personal struggles in Paris to his artistic language and pursuits, the exhibition is an excellent guide to the life and art of Cezanne. Moreover, Cezanne’s work reflects the techniques and ideas of his fellow Impressionists, while demonstrating the effect that his paintings had on subsequent generations of artists.

A Taste for Impressionism | Modern French Art from Millet to Matisse

Scottish National Gallery (Royal Scottish Academy): Open July 30, 2022 to November 13, 2022

Open until November 13th, the Royal Scottish Academy’s exhibition displays a remarkable collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art. From Monet and Degas to Gauguin and Van Gogh, the exhibition dives into the story of Scotland’s acquisition of some of the world’s most prominent Impressionist collections. The exhibition also includes Matisse’s Jazz prints and a special light-box display of the x-ray image of Van Gogh’s self-portrait within his 1885 work Head of a Peasant Woman.

New Arrivals | From Salvador Dalí to Jenny Saville

Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art (Modern One): Open now until February 12, 2023

Recent acquisitions by the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art are the highlight of this current exhibition, including a new piece by the renowned American artist Amie Siegel. More than 100 artworks are on display within the exhibition, including pieces from Damien Hirst, Pablo Picasso, Jenny Saville, Salvador Dalí, and many others. The gallery’s ground floor has been arranged to juxtapose the collection’s contrasting thematic elements, providing an exceptionally captivating display.

Beyond Realism | Dada and Surrealism

Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art (Modern One): Reopening September 24, 2022

The National Galleries of Scotland’s impressive collection of Dada and Surrealist art will be exhibited once again at the Beyond Realism exhibition, reopening on September 24th. The display includes works from Marcel Duchamp, René Magritte, Salvador Dalí, Max Ernst, and other prominent figures of Surrealism. The two primary forms of Surrealism are examined within the display – from unpremeditated art to realistic but irrational dreamlike depictions, all to curate a spontaneous yet imaginative artistic environment. 

Carolee Schneemann: Body Politics 

Barbican Art Gallery: Open September 8, 2022 to January 8, 2023

The Barbican’s exhibition explores Schneeman’s work in the UK, providing an insightful survey into the artist’s diverse and interdisciplinary projects. Schneeman experimented with performance work, sculptural pieces, and multimedia installations, among other radical and provocative pieces. The exhibition includes over 200 works, including archival material that further illuminates Schneeman’s diverse range of projects and topics addressed. 

Winslow Homer: Force of Nature

National Gallery: Open September 10, 2022 to January 8, 2023

Beginning September 10th, London’s National Gallery is presenting an exhibition that examines the life and work of American Realist painter Winslow Homer (1836-1910). Homer’s work examined the critical issues of his time; subjects of race, humanity, the environment, and sociopolitical conflicts. His work also includes paintings done during his travels in England, France, Cuba, Bermuda, and the Bahamas. The exhibition examines more than 50 of Homer’s paintings, providing an in-depth introduction to this prominent American Realist. 

PRE-RAPHAELITES: Drawing & Watercolours

Ashmolean Museum Oxford: Open until November 27, 2022

Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum currently holds on display more than 100 drawings and watercolours, which make up the museum’s collection of Pre-Raphaelite works on paper. With works by artists such as Dante Gabriel Rossetti and William Holman Hunt, the exhibition examines the artists’ stylistic techniques as well as their connections to Oxford and intimate personal relationships. The same exhibition also ran last year, and it sold out completely. Given this, secure your ticket early and become acquainted with the artists’ lives and choices of figures like Rossetti and Hunt.

Molly Finn

St. Andrews '23

Hi everyone! My name is Molly, and I'm a second year at the University of St Andrews studying International Relations and Art History. I grew up in Southern California and am a total matcha and fashion addict. I'm a big advocate for focusing on self-care and mental health, and staying up to date on current events.