Wellness

Dark Days – how to prepare for and handle SADs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The days are getting colder and darker, and we are now officially in autumn. Though the prospect of cosy days inside, hot chocolates, and comfy sweaters are appealing to some (such as myself), around this time many people begin to suffer from seasonal affective disorders (otherwise known as SADs).  

SADs is essentially a form of depression – one that comes and goes seasonally. Sometimes known as “winter depression” – as it is more common in the darker, colder months –  symptoms of SADs include a persistent low mood, a lack of energy, a loss in pleasure/interest in everyday activities, and difficulty concentrating. Though the exact cause of SADs is not fully understood, many symptoms have been linked to the lack of sunlight, which prohibits the production of essential hormones such as serotonin and melatonin as well as affects the body’s circadian rhythm – all of which are key to maintaining stable energy levels and mood. 

There are, however, many practical steps you can take to prepare for and handle the onset of SAD symptoms, many of which include lifestyle measures and talking therapies. Here is a list of six ways that can help boost your mood and potentially manage your SAD symptoms:

1. Plan for a good time 

With the weather getting colder and the days getting shorter, there are many fun autumn/winter activities you can include in your schedule to have something to look forward to. Try to prioritise socialising with others as it has been shown to have a causal relationship with improving depression. Think cosy film nights, bonfires, pub meals, winter walks, and more as the holidays roll around!  

2. Exercising regularly 

Not only does exercise improve your physical health, it can also help with low mood and improve your sleep. Ditch the comfort and start moving daily – even if it just for an easy jog or a brisk walk. 

3. Get outside 

On this note, you can kill two birds with one stone by getting moving outdoors. As the days get darker and shorter, sunlight is precious – so try to get outside as much as you can, and keep your blinds open when indoors to let in as much natural light as possible. 

4. Manage your stress

Organise your time and schedule ahead so you don’t feel overwhelmed when a stressful period comes around. It might be worth re-arranging stressful activities or events for another time, when you are in a better place and a more comfortable position to deal with them head on. Also, consider planning relaxing activities alongside any stressful ones to help improve your mood and motivate yourself to get through those hard days. 

5. Eat well 

Eating a healthy balanced diet is something is beneficial physically and mentally all year round – but it is particularly essential during the more difficult months. Eating well has been shown to have a massive effect on mood and energy levels, so make sure to prioritise balanced meals at regular intervals throughout the day. 

6. Talk it out

This can mean anything from simply writing your thoughts down in a journal, talking with friends and family, or seeking professional support. If your SADs is getting to the point where it it is affecting your ability to navigate day to day life, consider arranging an appointment with your GP or a therapist – there is never any shame in getting the help you need. Some other helplines include:

–       Samaritans – open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

–       SANEline – support for people experiencing a mental health problem or supporting someone else

–       Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) – support for anyone who wants to talk. 

Hopefully, there is something useful you can take away from this article, but the main message if you struggle with SADs is to make sure you are looking after yourself – both physically and mentally – in these winter months. Everything in your life depends on your wellbeing, so make sure to prioritise your mental and physical health before anything else. 

Josie Smith

St. Andrews '24

Josie is a fourth year studying philosophy. She is particularly interested in writing about health and well-being topics as well as the unique financial and business issues that women face. Josie feels so excited and grateful to be a part of an editorial that focuses on amplifying and empowering women’s voices.