Boston Ballet in Mikko Nissinen\'s The Nutcracker; photo by Liza Voll, courtesy of Boston Ballet
Photo by Liza Voll, courtesy of Boston Ballet

Christmas Ball “A Night at the Nutcracker” Preview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

After a year of pandemic-induced hiatus, Christmas Ball is back with a bang this weekend, and it is certainly going to be a special treat! Her Campus was granted an exclusive behind-the-scenes sneak preview of what this year’s event will look like, so if you’re keen for a little amuse-bouche before the big night, read on!

For anyone looking to truly immerse themselves in the Christmas spirit, this year’s “A Night at the Nutcracker” theme will certainly hit the spot. With each section of Kinkell Byre decorated to evoke a specific scene from the iconic ballet – the land of snow, the Victorian living room, and Sugar Plum Fairy’s palace – the committee appears to have spared no expense when it comes to fully realizing this festive theme. This year’s planning committee wants to make the event “as Christmassy as possible,” echoing a seemingly global effort to maximize this holiday season after a period of such loss.

Christmas Ball veterans and virgins alike can look forward to the traditional complimentary glass of prosecco and Gianetta’s ice cream (specially prepared to protect against both spiking and Covid transmission, we have been assured). Guests looking for further refreshments can seek them in the food tent, this year themed around the ballet’s ‘Kingdom of Sweets,’ which will feature vendors offering loaded fries, burgers, mac and cheese, and a few sweet surprises. Guests can also look forward to performances from some of St Andrews a cappella groups, another event staple, as well as some special performances from St Andrews Dance Club that Nutcracker aficionados might just recognize.  

For those wondering what to wear, the committee encourages festive black tie, erring on the side of formality (no Christmas jumpers please!).  For ladies, long or short dresses are equally appropriate, but don’t forget to bring a warm coat, as commuting to and from the Byre can be very chilly.

As for those hopefuls who are still ticketless, Mermaids encourages students to keep their eyes on the official waiting list. Many students have acquired tickets this way, and the list will continue to move up until the event. Mermaids also heavily urges students to report anyone selling a ticket for above the original asking price of £40, as marked up resale is not permitted, and these tickets will be voided to be resold to students on the waiting list. 

As for the rest of you lucky ticket holders, it’s time to get out your gowns and dust off your dancing shoes, and possibly even brush up on your Tchaikovsky – this year’s “Night at the Nutcracker” ball seems primed to be a night to remember.

Alexandra is a fourth year at the University of St Andrews in Scotland studying English and Modern History. She is also the founding president and editor-in-chief for the St Andrews Her Campus chapter, and can usually be found buried in a theatre rehearsing for the next musical, opera, or play. In her spare time, she loves writing creative fiction, traveling, and generally enjoying living in Scotland!