Campus Celebrity: Emily Griffiths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

You may know her as the new and enthusiastic Athletic Union President, but Her Campus is here to get you better acquainted with the girl behind the killer golf swing.

Emily Griffiths is a fourth year Management student from Wales, who is going to be running our AU come September. She is a long-term member of the University Polo Club, Captain of the Ladies Golf team and was even a monarch for a day (well, in a procession anyway…). It seems there is nothing she can’t do!  When we bring this up, she laughs in an infectious way and humbly disagrees, “I can’t draw, I can’t be serious and I can’t eat cheese (gutting about the cheese).  There may also be more, but I don’t like to highlight my weaknesses!” Well, as Robert Frost said, ‘Some mystery becomes the proud’—we bet that’s why she’s such a fierce competitor! 

Emily considers givingthe Laureation Address for Tom Watson at The Golf Graduation in 2012 one of her proudest moments to date. When asked about her plans for next year, she says she is keen to have one more year in “the bubble.” She is excited to help out sports clubs, gain life experience and clock in more time at her favorite places to unwind—The Lizard and The Union. To get to know her better, check out her rapid-fire responses below!  Only time will tell, but we’re not worried one bit about next year (we might even try to go to the gym more often!)

Now that you’re a BNOC (big name on campus), what should we know about
you? 
I went to seven schools! (Can I also just note that I wasn’t bullied, this was out of choice…!)

Guilty pleasure 
Procrastination

Embarrassing moment
Getting taken to a police station by my father when I was 16 because I was stuck in plastic handcuffs.  I had put them on myself when playing cops and robbers with my younger brother!

Favorite time wasters
I love emailing (some would say ‘spamming’) the Ladies Golf Club Committee. [Editor’s Note – As a member of the Facebook group, I can assure you she also loves messaging the club.]

Fun Fact
I once did a three-month pantomime stint and became BFFs with Trojan (the popular TV Gladiator) 

Hannah is a 4th year student of English Literature and Art History at the University of St Andrews.