This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

The sad truth is that I probably spend as much time in coffee shops as I do in class at St. Andrews. Well, nearly as much. I’m not alone though– every time I walk to class, I pass at least 4 cafés. And they all share something: a steady stream of students popping in for a cappuccino to-go or a pot of Earl Grey tea to sip quietly while brushing up on the reading for their next tutorial.

Each café has its own personality. They have something different to offer, and they each have their time and place, fulfilling a specific need, filling a niche in the St Andrews coffee shop scene. Below, a rundown of some of St. Andrews most popular cafés!

Bibi’s Café

For a glamorous experience or the feeling of being a lady who lunches, Bibi’s is the place to be. The menu is extensive and offers everything from sandwiches with guacamole and Cajun-style chicken to raisin scones to milkshakes. The service is friendly but unbearably slow. If the food weren’t so delicious, it would be much easier to get a table. Their claim to fame, the cupcake, is disappointing, to put it lightly. The cake is dry and flavorless; I have yet to detect a distinct difference between one flavor and another, and the icing tastes store-bought and coats your mouth in the way that aerosol whipped cream does.

Recommended for: Sunday afternoon tea with the girls.

Taste

Although it is itty bitty, Taste is one of my favorites. It can be hard to find a place to sit during the day, so evenings are your best bet. The chai tea lattes are phenomenal, as are the baked goods. The raspberry almond bar is a particular standout. As the only hipster hangout in St Andrews, you are bound to run across a fixie or two outside and a copy of Pitchfork laying on one of the rustic tables.

Recommended for: a game of Scrabble or a dramatic reading of 1984 to accompany your cuppa.

[pagebreak]

Northpoint

Pancakes, eggs, breakfast sandwiches! What more could you ask for? While the scone of the day has never thrilled me, the hot chocolate is always a winner. Whether you order Oreos, Maltesers, chocolate buttons, or all three, it’s always delicious. The hot chocolate is rich and filling, just the thing to warm you up on a chilly St Andrews day. Customization is a strong point at Northpoint. You can add chocolate chips or blueberries to pancakes, have a different scone every day, or build your own sandwich.

Recommended for: a breakfast of champions

Gorgeous Café

Casual and homey, Gorgeous almost feels like a friend’s living room. If you’re running low on time, you can grab a little something and go. If you’re more at liberty to relax, climb up the stairs to a bright, airy space filled with cozy leather chairs and the scent of tasty things wafting from down below. The bagel sandwiches are wonderful, I especially love the cranberry, brie, and bacon bagel, and it can fill you up enough to sustain you through a grueling afternoon in the library.

Recommended for: a little pick-me-up between lectures

Bean Scene

If you feel like somewhere you know you can count on, somewhere reliable but with a little more character than Starbucks or Costa, head over to Bell Street for a coffee at Bean Scene. In the evening you can order a margherita, veggie, or American hot pizza to liven up your dinner routine. During the day, London Fogs are warming and comforting, the perfect antidote to the 7 you got on your IR essay. Everything is reasonably priced, and it’s open later than most of the other cafes. This is nice, as so many things in St Andrews close absurdly early.

Recommended for: late night coffee cravings 

Hayley Daen is a sophomore at the University of St Andrews, where she studies the most useless of subjects, Art History. She lives in a dinky apartment right across from Tesco, which makes throwing impromptu tea parties a snap. She loves blue-and-white striped shirts and has an (almost certainly unhealthy) obsession with Christmas.