Beyond the Bubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Not quite a month into the academic year and the itching to get out of town feeling might be setting in. But not to worry! The area around St. Andrews has so much to offer, it’s easy to escape for an afternoon excursion to a neighboring town, explore nearby ruins, or venture into the scenic outdoors. So below, here are three ideas that hopefully will guide you in your exploration outside of the Bubble!

1. Hop over to Dundee

While it may not be your first choice initially, Dundee offers a quick city fix for the needy student. The Overgate Centre offers stores such as River Island, Topshop, and Debenhams to fulfill you’re shopping needs. Nearby, The West House restaurant is a casual, but yummy brunch option when you work up an appetite. A quick shopping and brunch fix can remedy the studying blues!

2. Venture to Glamis Castle

Only a 45-minute drive from St. Andrews is Glamis Castle, the setting for Shakespeare’s Macbeth and the childhood home of the Queen Mother. The castle has guided tours daily where you can explore the 15th century royal hunting lodge. However, the castle also puts on a Christmas Market in early December with stallholders from all over Scotland and a variety of sweet treats to put you in the holiday spirit.

3. Hike your way to Anstruther

The Fife Coastal Path is a fantastic gateway to get out of town. Hike along the eastern coast of Scotland and view the incredible scenery from the sea to the historic golf courses that litter the coast. Once you arrive in Anstruther, swing by the Anstruther Fish Bar for a classic fish supper, ranked the “Best Fish and Chips” shop in the UK and take a walk through the quiet fishing town for a relaxing moment before returning to the Bubble!

Hi I'm Margaret Crawford and I grew up in Dallas, Texas before venturing to St. Andrews for university to read, write, learn, and travel.
Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p