This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Last Saturday the St Andrews Charity Polo Committee hosted their annual Barn Bash at Falside Mill. A day event designed to last till dawn, filled to the brim with all things country, and pursuing the goal of raising money for the charity Help for Heroes. But is it worth it? 

The Lunch

The event runs quite similarly every year, beginning with the committee’s lunch. 

This year, the team went all out decorating the chairs with colourful bandanas and country-inspired centerpieces, transforming the venue into a true western dining hall. To top this off, the guests were serenaded by the country brother duo Cal and Ally, who, according to the Polo President and country music fan Skylar Fisher, are “absolutely fantastic.” 

Moreover, in true St Andrews style, each member counted with their individual name tag hiding a dare to kickstart the fun. And it is after these dares, particularly the toasts, that the Afterparty is allowed to begin. 

Meanwhile…

However, it is not only the committee that gathers before the event. The rest of us afterparty-goers have plans of our own. 

These plans vary every year, but the trend in 2024 has been to gather for brunch at a friend’s house. My favourite variation of this includes plenty of mimosas to go around, but to each their own! 

One of the best things about Barn Bash is that it is set during the day, making it the best opportunity for us to host our preferred type of ‘boozy’ (or ‘virgin’) wholesome morning event!

Nonetheless, do remember that buses depart early and that country music is best enjoyed live!

(And in a cute outfit).

The British take on the cowboy aesthetic

During a quick interview, Skylar Fisher specifically pointed out two things that she loved about the event: the country music… and the outfits! 

And I have to agree, getting dressed for this event is too much fun. 

The basics are always cowboys boots (of course) and anything denim, however, this year people have been getting very creative and we are loving it! From denim vests, funky belts, to flowy skirts, the girls at St Andrews have exploited the possibilities of the cowboy aesthetic. 

If like me, you too are a fashion fanatic, watching people line dance in these crazy western outfits in the middle of the Scottish countryside is too fun a sight to miss. However, Barn Bash is not an event you merely observe, but one you truly participate in. 

What to do? 

From the mechanical bull to the live music, every aspect of the event itself is made for you to actively join in, which in my opinion is precisely what makes the event so fun. 

Firstly, the mechanical bull. This apparently harmless piece of machinery became a battleground halfway through the event in the best way possible. Don’t worry, nobody was harmed! But let’s just say that getting onto the bull was just as hard as staying on…

As for the live music, we have to congratulate the band on managing to get hundreds of drunk university students to follow line dancing instructions. From archways to circles, pairs and quartets, the lead of the band somehow managed to create some sort of choreography that we could follow. The band adapted to modern, non-country music tastes too, singing covers of modern songs by singers like Noah Kahn whilst maintaining the essence of Barn Bash. 

Finally, if one got a bit peckish the event provided a few but delicious options. The Churro Stand, for those looking for a sugary treat to boost their energy back up halfway through the event, and Saint Sizzle, for those looking for a savoury snack to pair with a beer in true country style. 

What next?

As mentioned, Barn Bash is only one of the events hosted by the St Andrews Charity Polo Committee. In fact, it is the launch event for their iconic St Andrews Polo Tournament. 

Skylar Fisher described the event as a showcase for Polo with the same energy of Barn Bash. She also confirmed that this year Whispering Angels is once again partnering with the Committee to make sure that our charitable efforts are paired with plenty of wine and other boozy beverages. 

Finally, given the fundamental aspect of charity for the St Andrews Charity Polo Tournament, veterans from the Help for Heroes organisation have been invited to play in the tournament, bringing the main cause for the event to the literal forefront. 

So is it worth it?

Personally? Yes!

Barn Bash is a truly unique event. 

It combines the uniqueness of the rest of St Andrews’ balls with the casualness of a day event which really allows guests to let loose and truly enjoy themselves. I personally cannot wait for the next one!

Vera Fortun Marco

St. Andrews '26

Vera Fortun is a second-year English and IR student at the University of St Andrews. Apart from writing for Her Campus, she enjoys writing fiction prose and playing around with poetry. When she is not writing you can find her nose in a book, searching for new pieces to add to her wardrobe or seeking out new coffee shops around town.