Style > Beauty

5 South Asian Beauty Brands You Need to Buy

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Being a young South Asian woman, I truly understand the importance of representation, and for the longest time there weren’t many South Asian beauty brands in the market. Yes, there were beauty brands targeted towards women of color, but the broad spectrum often did not cater to the needs of South Asian women. To give some context, South Asian skin is of various colors and is typically different from skins of other people of color’s, POCs, as South Asians are scientifically more prone to hyperpigmentation than others. Growing up, this was one of my major skin concerns as no two regions of my face were ever of the same color, and I struggled to find the right beauty products. For a matter of fact, I only found a no white cast sunscreen that did not make my face feel like a greaseball only in my second-year of university. 

So, here are some South Asian owned beauty brands that you need to get your hands on.

1. Inde wild

Inde Wild is not only one of my favorite South Asian brands, but one of my favorite brands’ altogether. The brand who is known to have trademarked the term, ‘Ayurvedistry’, which refers to a unique blend of ayurveda and chemistry, and takes inspiration from ancient Indian beauty techniques. I have been a huge fan of their products for almost two years now, and I cancould vouch that their Glow Drops sunscreen and Bakuchiol PM serum are the best ones in the market. The light-weight formula and eco-friendly packaging is definitely worth your money for beautiful, radiant skin.

2. live tinted

You must have definitely come across this viral TikTok favorite, the Live Tinted Huestick Corrector. This color corrector has had the beauty girls worldwide in a chokehold for months now as it is a multi-purpose product that not only works as a color corrector, but also as a lipstick, blush and eyeshadow. The Huestick, or rather a multistick, effectively balances out dark spots, dark circles, and hyperpigmentation effectively and is a holy grail for most women of color. 

3. kulfi beauty

If you don’t already know, kulfi is a popular Indian dessert which is a close similar to ice-cream. Kulfi Beauty is known for its mission to empower the South Asian community through their products and one of their most popular products is the Kajal eyeliner. These liners come in a variety of colors and have a buttery-smooth finish when applying. They are the perfect addition to your makeup routine if you wish to spice up your look with some eyeliner. 

4. mango people cosmetics

This is another brand that is popularizing ayurveda and the natural makeup look. Mango People’s cosmetics use natural ingredients like mango butter, avocado oil, apples, and carrots, etc. for their formulation and pigments. Like, Live Tinted, Mango People also sell a multistick that comes in a variety of shades, andthat can be used on your lips, cheeks ,and eyes for that hint of color.

5. forest essentials

This brand is relatively older than the others mentioned but is a holy grail for many in the South Asian diaspora. It is one of the biggest hair care brands in India and has now expanded worldwideto the world. Their products also make use of natural ingredients like saffron, neem sandalwood, and moreetc. If you want thick, shiny, and wonderful- smelling hair, you have to give their products a shot.

Beauty cosmetics have been used by South Asian women for ages, and one thing these brands have in common is how they all use natural ingredients in their products, which is very crucial to the South Asian diaspora as historically, the region has always relied on nature for fulfilling their needs and places huge emphasis on sustainability. Moreover, these brands are putting the South Asian community on the map for the world to see and I am honestly here for it. Be it makeup, skincare or hair care, there is something for people of all skins.

Syna Singh

St. Andrews '24

Syna Singh is a third year at St Andrews majoring in Financial Economics and Management. She is originally from India but has lived her whole life in sunny Dubai. Photography, traveling, tennis and blogging are some of her interests. In addition to that, she hates being unproductive but also loves binge-watching true crime series, kdramas, rom-coms and of course, The Office!