5 Activities to Get You In the Mood for Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Ah, autumn: the only time of year when it’s acceptable to eat chilli every day and wear jumpers with turkeys on the front of them. With all of the rain in St Andrews, it can sometimes feel like the year jumps straight from summer to winter. One moment you’re sitting on East Sands having a Pimms in the sunshine, and the next thing you know, you’re buying a Christmas tree.

So how do you get into the spirit of autumn? Here are 5 activities to get you started.

1. Treat Yourself to a PSL

Ah, Pumpkin Spice Lattes: the Beyoncé of the coffee world. These fabulous lattes are made with cinnamon, cloves, and a pumpkin syrup that tastes like autumn in a cup. You can find PSLs all over St Andrews this year, with Northpoint, Pret, Starbucks, and Greggs offering up their own versions. For extra points, pair your latte with a spiced chocolate pumpkin scone from Gorgeous.

2. Autumnal Walk

There’s no better time of year to take a walk down Lade Braes than October. Shrug on a wool jumper and walk towards Hallow Hill. Make sure to pause and admire the brilliant vermillion and golden brown of the leaves. Save this one for a day when it’s sunny so that you can properly admire the view from the top of the hill.

3. Pumpkin Picking

Does it get more autumnal than an afternoon spent pumpkin picking? Find a friend with a car and drive to Cairnie Fruit Farm in Cupar. The sprawling pumpkin patch is a great place to snap a few pictures before selecting a pumpkin to carve. Cairnie also offers a ‘Maize Maze’ for those visitors brave enough to try and navigate the labyrinth of corn.

4. DIY Apple Cider

Sure, you could pick up a bottle of Crofters from Tesco, but why not try making this spiced autumnal beverage from scratch? Invite a few friends over and simmer some apples, orange, and cinnamon on the stove. If you’re keeping it tame, put on a film in the background. If it’s a Friday night and you’re heading to the Union, add a splash of rum.

5. Winter Cambolicious 

If you haven’t been to Cambo Estate yet, then you’re in for a treat. Each year, the historic country house hosts a festival filled with live music, Scottish cider, table tennis, and other autumnal activities. Keep an eye out for the Facebook event!

Jody is a third-year English major with a weakness for nut butter and trashy reality television. Her talents include writing, food photography, singing the alphabet backwards, and laughing at her own jokes.
Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p