This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As we finished up lunch in the 7th arrondissement on our final day in Paris, my friend Zoe asks us for our ‘Rose, Bud, and Thorn’ of the trip. I like to make things last as long as possible, so I thought this was a bit hasty. We still have tonight and tomorrow morning! But it inspired a needed reflection, nonetheless. 

I first went to Paris when I was 12 years old. So going back as a capital-A Adult (woah), was a completely different experience. Everyone tells you not to get your hopes up about Paris. ‘Paris syndrome’, the utter disappointment at a completely idealised fantasy version of the city, affects many tourists. Frankly, it doesn’t take much to impress me. I grew up in a metropolis, and so visiting any city (even Dundee), can be comforting. But my five days in Paris, while also confirming many stereotypes, exceeded my expectations. 

We stayed in the 5th, across the street from the Sorbonne, in the Latin Quarter. Our Airbnb was comfortably small and delicate, in only what I have to assume is French fashion. Everything in the apartment was furnished and decorated in such a chic way that I will be trying to emulate it in my own home for the rest of my life. It had to be less than 400 sq ft, but it was all we needed. We tried to cook one or two meals a day to save money, playing house away from home. 

Our days were perfectly constructed and casual. We rose together slowly each morning, to the tune of each of our contributions to the queue. We decided the night before what we wanted to see the following day – D’Orsay, the Montmartre neighbourhood, and the thrift stores. We made sure to scope out our best dining options in between each activity, with a good balance of French and international cuisine. Deprived of Sushi and Mexican food in St Andrews, city travelling gives us the opportunity to indulge. The food had to have been the best thing about Paris. We deemed it essential to get good French food at some point, but it was in abundance. We dined in The Marais, ate steak and escargot with red wine (Le Colimacon), and it had to be a Rose if not the Rose. 

In the second half of our trip, I navigated my friends through the public transport system, which, honestly, is the second-best thing about Paris. We did not take a single Uber, which we considered an impressive feat. Affordable and reliable, it reminded me of home. We took it to Montmartre, and spent the evening strolling around, we got authentic Mexican food (El Nopal Taqueria), saw the Wall of Love, a slightly touristy but essential view of the city, got our photos taken at the Photoautomat, and found a secret Elvis themed bar around the corner (Chez Camille, another highlight). 

In terms of any thorns we may have experienced, typical rudeness targeted at young women with American accents is to be expected. But any judgment or unpleasantness was made up for with equally frequent kindness. Unlike some of my past reading week/vacation trips, this one felt particularly fulfilling and relaxing. I have reached a point in my life where I know what I want to get out of going abroad and I am confident in my ability to achieve it, stress-free. To anyone considering buying cheap Ryanair tickets to Paris, this is your sign. From what I saw in five days, much is left to discover. 

Isabella Paterson

St. Andrews '25

Bella is second year student studying International Relations and Spanish. She is also a news and columns writer for different publications in St Andrews.