What We Didn’t Know We Needed: Spotify Daylists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Do you ever feel criminally understood by something that just shapes your whole day? Well, for me, that would be Spotify daylists. Its recent debut in September has completely changed the way I listen to music. Somehow, almost like magic, Spotify sees straight through me with what I want to listen to during the day. When I say Spotify daylists have become my new Wordle, I mean it! I religiously stalk my daylists three times a day, when they change the vibes around, and it still hits the spot! I realize that this is a system that is based on pattern, but who is going to wreck a girl’s day? Certainly not me! 

Last week, I had a daylist titled “rage angelic Thursday afternoon” which is so random, but it makes sense to me. As I was listening to this playlist, it gave me so much energy to get my homework done and turned into quite the productive day! Spotify categorizes my music taste into a particular order that makes me question how music affects my mood. If I have a playlist full of femme fatale and angst, that homework I procrastinated for three days is suddenly done in 30 minutes! Similarly, I find myself calming down at night to a “journaling solitude Thursday evening” while I quietly crochet and journal all night. It is a big influence on how my day goes as well! If I don’t particularly fit with my daylist, I simply have an off day and can’t find a solid music category. Call it being dependent on Spotify, but I like finding new music recommendations, and daylists do just that for me! As long as you are a Spotify user, you are guaranteed to have a good start to your day. This is a genius reinvention to the Discover Weekly, which often disappoints regular Spotify users. If you are not using Spotify daylists, you should be! I hope this convinces you to start being your inner “hardcore wizard core” on a Wednesday evening. 

Hi! My name is Brooklyn, and I’m a freshman at SPU and this is my first quarter on the Her Campus magazine :) I love everything about music, the outdoors, and traveling!