This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Since I was a kid, I have been a hyperactive person who enjoys being outdoors more than ever. My grandma always complained about how tanned my skin was due to going out too much. Attending activities outside school has always been a part of my life, whether outdoor competitions, collaborative activities, or extra classes outside school. One thing these activities have in common is that I have an opportunity to meet new people and learn new things. Looking back, I’m glad that my mom made me go to these places because now I realize it is why I love meeting new friends and exploring areas where I’m eager to gain experiences.

Due to the pandemic and social distancing restrictions, social gatherings have become less prominent. People have changed their priorities and considered aspects of protecting one’s health and participating in social activities as part of daily life, which I understand. However, now that we’re getting back to ‘normal’ life and finding a way to ease back into life after the Covid outbreak. Indeed that is why spending some time trying new things, as our girl Haley mentioned in last week’s article, or pushing yourself to volunteer for a local community would be a great plan to absorb the energy and socialize with others.

Last week, I volunteered for the AIGA Design Conference at the Seattle Convention Center, and let me tell you, it was a fantastic experience filled with delightful memories with my new friends at the conference. My first-time volunteering was better than ever. Thanks to my incredible team, inspiring speakers, and fun letterpress workshop, I had an opportunity to join. It is also a reminder that it’s a great time to enjoy social life, welcome new connections, go to places you have never gone, and support the community to empower a difference.

The event was three days long, and we also had training on Wednesday, the day before the conference. We had time to get to know each other and spent time walking downtown and at Pike Place Market and Gum Wall after lunch. It was also my first time having Indian food, so I guess I’m also a fan of Indian food now. There is also an Indian restaurant next to my apartment, so this is a sign I must check out. It was lovely to meet other designers from different states and how we had a space to meet up and spark conversation, discussion, and involvement on critical topics, all in the design context. I’m grateful to have this memory in my life. It inspires me to make a more significant impact in design through cultural initiatives, advocate for eco-friendly solutions, and maintain human well-being in the digital world.

All the speakers were beyond amazing, and they were so sweet when I talked with them at the check-in area. Each session has interesting dialogues and gives the participants new insight into how designers can improve with a community approach and forecast a sense of connection through powerful design. I gained inspired knowledge and aspects of cultivating kindness and empathy in design, daily life, and the workplace. I also had my first time with letterpress printing, I found myself a bit clumsy on the first try, but the result turned out to be a pleasing accident with the text. At the end of the workshop, we even had a chance to trade our artwork with other participants if we agreed to, so it was nice to have an exchange moment with someone we had just met.

One thing I have valued about this event is that we often didn’t recognize, as a human, social interaction is essential to every aspect of our health.

Volunteering is a great excuse to motivate you to step out of your comfort zone, open your heart to meet new people, and listen to their stories about their pathway to

the design industry. Also, as a college student, it is a great way to highlight the achievement on your resume and build valuable experience and skills.

However, remind yourself to prepare for good health and eat enough snacks and food during your volunteer time because trust me, you will be tired at the end of the day if you don’t have enough energy.

I hope my experience will inspire you to try something new every once in a while to boost your energy and erase all the gray days with a twist of activity. Embrace your identity and explore your potential skills to raise your voices with crucial topics that affect humanity and the planet.

Hi, I'm Kaylie Vo, majoring in Visual Communication at Seattle Pacific University. I love the joy of expressing positivity and have unparalleled creativity to search for inspiration in everything. I like drinking coffee, listening to music, and binging Netflix in my spare time. Excited to be a part of Her Campus SPU!